Recommend good packet writing software?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DKTaber

I was recently given a TDK 52/24/48 CDRW drive for Xmas. What a screamer! It came with Nero. I installed InCD as well as Nero Express because 99.9% of my writes are with InCD formatted disks (use them for zipped backups). However, InCD has a very odd and aggravating habit: It seems to check for the presence of a disk in the drive every 2-3 minutes, and when it does, the system is momentarily locked... as when the hourglass is on. Only lasts for 4-5 seconds, but drives you nuts when you're writing a report and typing fast. Only way around it is to unload InCD from the Task Manager.

Brought this to the attention of Ahead Software tech support, and got nowhere. So I'm considering dumping Nero and going with something else. I used to use Adaptec (1999 version) with an old 8/4/32 Plextor, and it was OK, but I don't like Roxio's update policies (which is mostly NOT to update anything for free). So can anyone recommend some really good software for mastering and especially packet writing?

If you were happy with DirectCD go back to it. The problem is that you can’t get it without the package and it is expensive. Most people consider DirectCD to be the best packet writing software and Nero to be the best all around mastering software.

RecordNow has a packet writing component (DLA) and has a free trial. The damage is only $40 if you like DLA. It has a Prassi engine for the mastering software which I personally like. I’m still using the Prassi software on my old Plextor but will probably try RecordNow when I upgrade. http://www.stompinc.com/recordnowmax/index.phtml?stp

DKTaber

Thanks for the info, Slipe. It's too bad the software companies don't sell mastering and packet writing software separately. I may download the trial version of RecordNow. Bit of a hassle since I will have to uninstall InCD (from everything I've read, you can't have two packet writers on the same PC without risking problems).

Packet writing programs activate when they detect a CD in the drive and take over the drag and drop duties if the CD is formatted. You can’t disable some packet writing so you have multiple programs trying to run the same equipment. It is best to have only one.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online