1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recommend modem only model to replace BT HomeHub

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AlbertB, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlbertB

AlbertB Thread Starter

Hi guys. I'm UK based so models may be a bit unfamiliar to US members. I would guess none of you use BT, (wise move)!

Currently using BT HomeHub V1.0, (yes there's still one out there), on BT broadband line with BT Vision services and with all internal network connections to it connected through a Netgear WNR3500 router. I'm a good level of user (software developer) but definitely NOT a network whizz so chances are I'm missing something important.

The idea was to take DHCP and Wireless control from the HomeHub and give it to the Netgear. Many long attempts later.... These services can be disabled on the HH and enabled on the Netgear easily. However the BT device will not give up control of DHCP and still allow network machines to see the internet! BT HH was given a fixed IP address in the Netgear, the same as its standard allocation when it is in control (192.168.1.254), and this was used for the gateway address in TCP/IP setup and in Netgear settings. I can get everything set up internally so the Netgear is in control with the HH DHCP and Wireless switched off, machines can all see each other and talk to each other perfectly, but no one sees the internet!

I would really like to replace the HH completely so was looking for a basic non-router type modem to leave the WNR3500 as the network manager. Thought of the Netgear DM111P as it was an economic Netgear match but it has such rotten reviews for reliability in terms of heat that I went off that model and Netgear don't list any others.

Any recommendations re which modem units would easily do the job and match the WNR3500? Or can anyone tell me why I can't set it up as I want with current gear?

2. AlbertB

AlbertB Thread Starter

I have found and am currently considering the Draytek Vigor 120. Vigor say: "You can connect any device to the Vigor 120 which has a PPPoE client facility. This means the actual connection to your ISP is still PPPoA (unlike other modems which only provide PPPoE native bridging), which is a unique feature of this product and makes it compatible with all UK ISPs where PPPoA is used as standard." Should work ok with the Netgear WNR3500 and anything to make for a simpler more controllable connection.

Anyone know this or can offer advice as to whether it is a suitable unit?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, it sure sounds like it would work. I'd search for someone using it with BT.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/928867

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice