1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recommend router with inbound filter

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JZing, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JZing

JZing Thread Starter

I am not that experienced with setting up a network but I am learning all the time.

I need to purchase a router that will allow me to set up port forwarding (which my existing SMC router can do) AND filter inbound traffic to that specific open port so that only one to five IP addresses are allowed to use that open port (which my existing SMC router cannot do).

I've looked at the Linksys RVS4000's documentation and it seems to do what I need but the user reviews of the router are more negative than positive regarding slow download speeds which I cannot accept.

I've found that the D-Link DIR-655 (and 635 and 625) have the capability of using inbound filtering but again the CNET review along with the user reviews leave me skeptical.

I don't feel qualified enough to go the CISCO route due to my perception of the complexity of the setup of these routers.

Anyone care to make a recommendation for a router that will have an access control list feature via IP, accommodate 20 users and hopefully have a decent VPN function?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Truthfully, I'd bite the bullet and look a bit closer at the Cisco PIX line. I'm sure that the folks at Cisco will help you get it configured, and it's not that difficult.

3. JZing

JZing Thread Starter

Okay, I've looked at the 500 series that you recommended and expect that it may be the best choice but I'm not prepared to learn the pages of commands necessary for this router.

I also looked at the Cisco 871 router and with the Advanced IP Services package which appears to me to have the necessary security filters that I need but I am not 100% sure of this. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_data_sheet0900aecd8028a976.html

Do you or anyone else have any experiences with the 871?

I also see that Cisco has something called Security Device Manager (SDM) that looks to me like a web based GUI interface for setting up security policies. Any experiences with this software product?

Thanks for pushing me back to Cisco since I only discovered the SDM software on my second visit.

4. JohnWill

I've never used the 871, so I'm not sure what it's capabilities are. Truthfully, I'd actually talk to the folks at Cisco and outline your requirements and see what they say.

5. JZing

JZing Thread Starter

Thanks. I've done just that and will be purchasing the 871 with the advanced IP services software even though the standard software has the capabilities of an ACL. For the not so many extra dollars, I wanted options that the advanced feature set provides in case more defining of the security policy is needed in the future.

Now that I have dealt with Cisco I've learned that you must purchase a service contract in order to get updates to firmware and software. This surprised me but in the end I'm satisfied that a contract will be purchased so that I have Cisco tech support to back me up to configure the thing.

6. JohnWill

For your requirements, this is probably the right course of action. :)

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

7. hewee

hewee

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648627

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice