1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recommend Some Games Please?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Wallenberg, Jun 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wallenberg

Wallenberg Thread Starter

I'm trying to decide whether to buy an XBox 360 or a PS3.

Ultimately, I think my choice will depend on which games are available for each.

Could I ask for a little help? Could you recommend some of the best games available for each so that I can choose one?

Alternatively, can you recommend any good sites that would give me a brief description of the most entertaining games available?

I'm not so much into first person shooters. I love adventure games like Mafia.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The Playstation series has the most variety of games, including adventure / role playing games. The PS3 will allow backward compatible with PS and PS2 games and I'm sure XBOX 360 will have the same deal.

Asking which is the better is really a moot point. Most of the people here are biased with their answers so really you will not get a definative answer.

Both systems are great and the PS3 will incorporate the Blu-Ray technology, which looks like going to be the next best thing after DVD.

I would suggest looking at www.playstation.com and www.xbox360.com for any information. For game reviews, check out the magazines, prehaps in your library. I'm out of touch on which magazines are out there so I can't say for sure what is the best

3. MahaGamer

MahaGamer

i'de reccomend neither. i'de save up your money and go with a gaming PC. for less than 500 bux you could be starting off with a great PC to play all the latest games. i'de reccomend you checking out some of the bare-bone stuff at sites like www.newegg.com or www.tigerdirect.com . this is only my oppinion so do what you want. this is what i'de reccomend.

4. MahaGamer

MahaGamer

you could also use a PC for everything. all you can use a PS3 for is gaming and mabye movies. a pc you could do millions of other tings.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    And here we go again. Another thread that has a post that is irrelavant to the posters NEEDS. Stick with the issue at hand people. XBOX360 or PS3... not the 3rd option that he doesn't want...

6. MahaGamer

MahaGamer

ok sorry. I'de go with the PS3 seeing as E3 2005 rated it better than the X360. also it has a more powerful gpu and games like "killzone" that will kick butt graphics wise.

7. DeLorean

DeLorean

The 360 may be backwards compatible but the PS3 will play both of it's predecessors titles and I have to say i'm still in love with the PSX for games like Tekken 3 and Vigilante8, i know neither of these may be to your tastes but the point i'm getting across is the chance of playing 3 era's worth of gaming on 1 console, it's been 10 years since the PSX was released yet the PS3 will still play it's games and it's big brother's.

That's like the N64 coming out in the early 90's but still playing classic NES games, let alone SNES.

Think about it...

8. DeLorean

DeLorean

Also think of games/series that are associated with each, the PSX and PS2 both had games that ultimately came out on other formats but were classed as a 'Playstation' game like Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, Crash Bandicoot etc, atleast a hundred brands that distinguished the Sony machines as leaders.

The Xbox on the otherhand was hyped for having Halo and then that was that, everything else has been multi-format, if it comes to Xbox it will no doubt be on PS3 and PC anyway, whereas when the Playstation gets a game, we PC freaks sometimes have to put up with months and even a year or so's wait til it gets ported.

To me (a true PC nut) the Playstation is a console, it has it's own games, it is lightweight (handy for taking to a friends with a few cans) and it has every other manifestation that made Sega and Nintendo so cool 15 years ago. The Xbox is just Microsoft trying to get it's finger in another pie...

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Oh I'm sure it's not a finger that is going into a pie ;)

I agree with the games though. The only things that I remember that its only XBOX is Fable and Halo (not including PC), the rest are multi-platform.

I'm annoyed that GTA is now on XBOX :mad:

As for Nintendo, they are going to go retro too with downloadable games (I guess from their own service) of the last 10-20 years. Secret of Mana would be awesome :D

10. Kramer55

Kramer55

I am biased towards the X360, but one of the nicer aspects to the 360 is that if you have Windows Media Center on your computer, you can use the hard drive on the 360 to record TV (similar to Tivo)

The PS3 is going to cost more, plus it isn't out yet. The 360 is not backwards compatible for all games, but the PS3 is.

There are many different aspects; check a variety of websites, such as Gamespot, and read some non-biased reviews of systems and games.

11. Wallenberg

I have a fairly new and powerful PC. It's a Pentium running at 3.2 GHZ with the ATI 9800 PRO video card. I know the card is not the best. But my understanding is that it's good enough to run most any video game.

I have an older video card and I tried to run Mafia on my older card. It was terrible. It kept jerking and stalling. But it runs flawlessly on my 9800 PRO.

So, why do I want to get one of the new consoles instead of playing on my PC?

I guess one reason has to do with the kinds of controllers available. I bought the best controller I could for my PC but found it had some problems with some racing games. I may be mistaken but I figure that some games require high end controllers like those that come with the XBox 360 or PS3 and that connecting a controller through a USB port just doesn't allow the controller to have the same degree of control that it has on the consoles.

Besides, I'm leaning towards the PS3 and I understand there is some entirely new kind of controller that you can "shake" or "wave" and I can't see how I could do the same thing on my PC. I really don't like the idea of trying to duplicate the action with my four arrow cursor keys that is available with say a steering wheel on a car driving controller for one of the consoles.

Is this a valid analysis of why even the best PC and video card can still fall short of the PSx consoles?

If I'm mistaken and can do most anything on my PC that can be done on a PSx, then I'll certainly have to re-evaluate.

One other thing, I have a fairly slow cable connection. It's good enough for my daily use, but if I wanted to compete against others I'd have to upgrade it. I assume that competing live against others with either console also requires a high-speed connection. Is there any difference between the connection I'd need to do this on my PC than there is on either console? I currently pay $25 per month for a speed that's about double the 56K speed. I would have to pay around $45 to get a high speed connection and I'd rather avoid that unless it's absolutely necessary. My understanding is that it will be necessary regardless of whether I will go with the PC or the XBox 360 or PS3. Is that correct?

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    If you are talking about DSL then you should be fine.

As for your analysis, the only problem with comparing a PC to a console is that they are completely different in the aspect that you can upgrade a PC to the best stuff to play the best games whereas you are stuck with what you have on a console. But right now the XBOX360 and PS3 graphics is looking sweet and probably competing against the PC graphics. The only other advantage for a PC that it can play certain games better than the console, like Command and Conquer and Civilization. Other than that genre (strategy), PC and console are the same in terms of games.

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    PS since you said ultimatley it would be based on varitey of games, PS3 wins hands down. I'm not too sure about the Nintendo Wii though, that one will be allowed to get retro Nintendo games so in effect that will have some variety too so if there is an old Nintendo game/s you liked then that might be a possibility, and I heard that will be backward compatible too with Gamecube games. But if you have already got a PS or PS2 then the PS3 would be a safer bet. :)

14. Wallenberg

I don't currently have a PS2 or XBox. I bought an XBox a few months ago from Wallmart but I didn't like it very much. Of course, when I say that, much of the reason has to be the games I got with it. For me, it's hard to separate my opinion of the console from the opinion of the games.

I got Oddworld - Stranger's Wrath and I didn't enjoy that very much at all. The main action was "bundling up" bad guys in order to capture them to collect a bounty. Wow! That got very tired very quickly. I think I played it for about 8 hours total and by then I just hated it.

I also got Halo 2 but try as I might, I just never could get into that. I'm not knocking that game at all. Perhaps it was just a question of personal taste. But I found the whole experience to be very lackluster. Sort of "meh".

Considering that at that time, the XBox 360 was coming out in a couple of months, I decided that - all things considered - I just returned it and decided to wait.

Again, it was just my personal experience, but if I compare all the games I tried for the XBox all put together, they were not nearly as enjoyable as playing Mafia on my PC. I think I spent about 100 hours playing Mafia (including the approximately 12 bonus quests) and it was always a lot of fun - never boring.

So, in the final analysis, it's very difficult to know whether to attribute my experience to the individual games or the individual consoles. I guess most of my opinions have very little to do with the hardware and are mostly all about the software.

So, I'm very swayed by the fact the PS3 has a lot more variety than the XB360. Before starting this thread, I had thought there was a big difference between the PS3 and the PC in terms of the quality of the controllers available for them.

But now, I really am not sure what to do. I want to thank you all very much for the excellent advice you have given me. I learned an awful lot from your posts. I'm pretty sure I'll either buy a PS3 or just stick with my PC.

If any of the people who have replied to my thread live in Toronto and would like a free XBox game, I bought 3 games with the XBox and when I returned the XBox, I couldn't sell those games. So, they've just been gathering dust on my shelf for 6 months now. I can't see ever selling them or ever buying an XBox. So if any of the people who replied to me in this thread want one of them for free, you are welcome to them. I live in the center of Toronto.

The three games are - Oddworld Strangers Wrath, Halo 2 and GTA 3 (which included the bonus game GTA Vice City).

15. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Have you seen the new controllers for the PS3? :eek: they look like boomerangs! :D

The controllers are the same in my opinion in the terms of console/PC. with a PC though you have to set the buttons. On a console you dont.

As for your games, sell them on ebay or a gamestore... or even better wait until you get a console (if you are) and trade them for another game.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/471850

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice