1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recommendation for docking laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by exdillbert, Dec 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. exdillbert

exdillbert Thread Starter

First Name:
    John
    I am setting up a home office and need advice on getting the right hardware to dock my laptop so I can remove easily for travel. I am planning to use an adjustable monitor/laptop stand and need something that will allow to connect and disconnect easily. I've got an HP Envy 17M with HDMI, USB and USB-C ports. It looks like I can buy hardware that works off any of the three. I do some video production and want to avoid any lag in graphics processing.

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I found this on the HP forum
    Since there are several models called Envy17, what is the exact model you have so I can check the hardware specs.

I also read that USB can be problematic so before you buy anything, read the reviews.

3. exdillbert

First Name:
    John
  4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If you only want to connect a Monitor to the Laptop why not just unplug the graphics cable from the Laptop ?

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    model: Envy 17m-ae011dx
    I found this on the BestBuy site

Envy 17m-ae011dx.jpg

6. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Any of the Lattitude or Precision laptops from Dell support docking. The Lattitudes have either a dedicated docking interface or utilize the USB C connector. The Precisions utilize the USB C connector.

I had a Lattitude for work which I used on a docking station. It was recently replaced by a Precision which now uses a USB C docking station. Same functionality as the docking station using the dedicated interface for the Lattitude. Will even charge the laptop too.

7. exdillbert

First Name:
    John
    Yes, I guess I was over thinking this. With only one monitor that is all I need. I may get a USB hub so I can limit the cords dangling off the sides of the laptop, and a second power cord, but don't need anything else until I add a second monitor.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1200763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice