1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recommendation for Docking Station?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bkford, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bkford

bkford Thread Starter

Since it has become clear that I cannot trust the sales people at Dell, I will see if someone on this forum can recommend a docking station or port replicator that will work with the Inspiron 1525, XP Pro, SP3. The Dell folks had me order a Kensington SD 200V, with option for dual monitor. After hours of trying to make it work, the folks at Kensington told me that it is not compatible with XP SP3.

I would love it if I could find a docking station like my old IBM Thinkpad, where even the power for the laptop was taken care of at the docking station. Guess that's not possible with a Dell.

I do want to use an external monitor, speakers.

Any suggestions, even for somewhere else to search?

Thanks,
    Barbara

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

I am not seeing anything like that for your model.
    With all the connections that are shown for your model
    at the dell website,it's probably not needed.
    You have connections to hook up an external monitor,
    or even an HDTV by vga or HDMI.
    I imagine you could connect speakers to one of the headphone
    jacks,but might want to use a USB sound card instead to
    keep the wires out of the way.
    Sorry I couldn't find exactly what you were looking for.

3. bkford

bkford Thread Starter

I know, you are right. But I switch back and forth between the "desk setup" where I'm attached to all the peripherals, and the laptop use. I hate to unplug four different things every time I switch. So, it's for convenience that I want a docking station (I was so "addicted" to my Thinkpad docking station, that I now feel like I have gone back in time).

Also, eventually I want to go to the dual monitor thing, and I thought it would be handy to have a port replicator that made that easier. Am I thinking wrong?

Kensington told me that NONE of their docking stations are compatible with XP SP3.

4. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

You might want to check further into the specs of your laptop.
    With a vga and HDMI output,it may already be dual monitor capable.
    You would just need an adapter for the HDMI port.
    Your laptop does not seem to have a dedicated port for a dock or replicator,
    and anything that runs off USB would be weak in the video department anyway.
    I agree,a dock would be more convenient,if you could find one.
    I think you would find that your thinkpad had a dedicated port for one.
    That allowed it to connect directly to the hardware.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/771607

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice