1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recommendation on what to do.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ingeborgdot, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot Thread Starter

I have a new Dell laptop that I really do want to switch to Windows 7. I am not switching because I don't like Vista because I really do. I am switching because it is a 64 bit vista on the laptop and the very important program I have to run using this laptop will not run on 64bit OS.
    My question to you would be W7 home premium or professional. All my OSs have been pro because I like the remote features that pro offers as compared to the others. I do a lot of remote desktop and like the feature.
    So, what do you all recommend? Let's hear it guys. Thanks.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit which will allow you to install your old application in XP mode which runs 32bit.

3. ingeborgdot

I understand about that but the problem is it is actually a usb device called an MSC-400 from URC. It will not work on a 64bit device. I need to check to see if it will work in xp mode?

I do have another question about where to get it. Should I get it from Dell where I bought it and get an upgrade or a full version from them.
    Or should I buy it from newegg or whoever and get and upgrade or an oem?

4. antech

antech Banned

Go with Windows 7 Professional as home premium is not enough for your use

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Weird that the product brochure says it can be used with any Windows PC.

6. antech

antech Banned

Most products work in 32-bit windows and very few do not work in x64 architecture

7. ingeborgdot

This is one of them that don't. There is a forum topic on URC for this very problem which is found out not going to be solved.

8. antech

antech Banned

So,
    whats YOUR Decision?

9. ingeborgdot

I don't know yet. I am still researching and thinking to find out what is my best option.

10. antech

antech Banned

I recommend you to go with 32 bit windows for now and considering 64 bit later somewhere in the future

11. ingeborgdot

Then I have to find out because I have never really worked much with Dell if I upgrade to another OS do I have to get it from Dell for it to work right? I have heard of this before but not sure.

12. antech

antech Banned

No this is not always necessary

13. ingeborgdot

What is not always necessary?

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    With your Vista you are eligible for upgrade pricing, so no need to buy the full priced version. Buy it from any legitimate place.

If you do not run memory intensive operations you do not need the additional RAM that 64-bit makes possible.

If you want Microsoft's Remote Desktop you have answered your question w.r.t. Home Premium. Having experimented a little with Remote Desktop, UltraVNC and TeamViewer I would buy Home Premium, as I prefer the others to Remote Desktop.

15. ingeborgdot

Where do I get upgrade pricing? Not quite sure what you mean, sorry for the ignorance here.

I am not planning on doing memory instensive ops on the laptop. I have other computers for that.

Are UltraVNC and TeamViewer free? Do all the computers that will be using them have to have them installed? I will read more about them I guess.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918392

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice