1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

recommendations for a build yourself pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by etaf, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. etaf

etaf Moderator Thread Starter

First Name:
    Wayne
    I'm going to build a PC.
    aim is for my two boys aged 15 & 13, mainly for school, but also I want to play games etc.
    i'm looking at £400-500hardware cpubox from computer fair type supplier, i have a few local and know where they live.

BUT,
    grahcs cards 128mb (is this too much for kids games) hso much out there now, new drives comming out that are not ide, memory that is matched ....

so i would like to make it as future proof as possible,

suggestions

my apologies to moderators if this is not the correct place, please delete if inappropriate discussion

2. compilerxp

compilerxp

Its easy to build a low-cost computer... another to build a computer that can play games that 15yr old boys want to play.

Because of your limited budget, look at this: (monitor not included), prices are in USD - but not too different from your currancy.

$60~70 - in-win case (good quality, last you a long while) www.in-win.com 523J is the model.

$65~75 - KT400~600 Chipset board or Nforce2 (single channel), not that fastest - but reliable. ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte brands. The Nforce would be the better board to get. These include built in sound and networking.

$80 - AMD XP2400~2500 CPU with cooling fan

$70 - 512mb DDR RAM (one stick)

$80 - GF4 Ti4200 64mb version - best card you can get for the money. Anything cheaper is NOT worth it. No, the 5200 is NOT faster than the 4200.

$80 - 80GB hard drive, $40 - CD-RW drive, $30 keyboard & mouse.

You can use your Windows98 CD-ROM, or deal with the WindowsXP issues.

3. azncompman

azncompman

for the case i personally would go with a power magic case from www.amamax.com i have one with a 500w power supply. you might even get front usb and speaker jacks. not to mention it looks cool with the spider window installed. IT'S ONLY $38. if you want a extra case fan it's only 6 bucks. might i add only get 1 and don't make the same mistake as me.

4. compilerxp

compilerxp

Those "power magic" cases are sold under 10+ different brand "names". They're not good cases in design. There is a tiny air vent on the bottom front. $34~38 for a case with a PSU? That tells you how much "quality" is built into it. For the low-cost, but GOOD case/PSU case is why I meationed the in-win model which includes a good 300~350watt PSU.

Real 500watt PSUs are about $150~200. Not $18.

5. Kromos

Kromos

i notice that youre in the uk,for that price that youre willing to spend theres a website where you can tell them what you want nd they will build it for you ! ! !which i think is really great ! ! !
    (y)

6. Kromos

Kromos

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171978

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice