1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

recommendations for a good personal firewall?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bj nick, Oct 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I used to use ZoneAlarm, but I wasn't able to find it when I loaded up my new system. I have a cable modem and I'm aware of all the horror stories and the danger. I was very satisfied with Zonealarm, but apparently it is no longer available; in any case, when I try to find it, I get lots of "can't be found" messages. So...I have two questions...: has Gibson maybe gone out of business or is no longer offering zonealarm, or 2) can someone recommend a really good personal firewall that will offer good protection.

I am currently using "tiny" firewall, but I don't know much about it except that it seems to have some reccomendations going for it...any feedback will be appreciated.
    thanks...

2. Signature

Signature

3. Dark Star

Dark Star

Zone Alarm is available here:

http://www.zonelabs.com/

..............although Tiny Personal Firewall is rated as a very good firewall also. It does use less resources than Z/A so it does have that going for it.

DS

4. Dark Star

Dark Star

Dang, you type fast. :D

BTW, Steve Gibson is alive and well right here: http://grc.com/

5. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

thanks for the responses...

There is nobody home at zonelabs....I always get "The page cannot be displayed" when I try.

I've seen the GRC web site, but I don't see anything about zonealarm there....

6. Signature

Signature

<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">Hmmm...
    Somebody's home at www.zonealarm.com and www.zonelabs.com (same site).

Did you try clicking on our links?
    Did you try typing the address into the address bar?
    Something's wrong on your end if that didn't work.

Try this: type</color></font> 205.178.21.3 <font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">into your address bar and hit Enter.</font>

7. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Yes, I tried both of these links, as I had tried repeatedly before. So this is getting curious....for some reason I get "the page cannot be displayed" every time for either address, or the numbers you gave me, which I tried as well. Why would I not be able to get those addresses from my computer? This is something I haven't had experienced before....

8. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

9. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip. I downloaded ZoneAlarm and it is now installed on my system. I feel safer already....

It is still baffling to me why I can't access the zonealarm web site from my computer....

Anyway, the important thing is I have my old firewall up and I'm happy about it....thanks!

10. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

you're welcome, glad I could help
    :D

11. Del

Del

Are you running a good, updated antivirus program? The only time I have seen someone not be able to surf to certain sites is when they didn't have the encryption required or had a virus that was blocking all sites relating to security. Can go to everywhere but sites that were related to antivirus software or firewall programs. Only saw that one time, but just a thought.
    Try going to Norton's site, or MacAfee's.
    Del

12. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Hey Del- I can go to those sites right away, no problem. So I remain baffled as to why I can't seem to access zonelabs...

But while I'm at it...I have Mcafee but I would welcome a good recommendation either way. I have been annoyed repeatedly by Mcafee because I would go to their site for monthly updates and all I get is offers for "improved' service at more money. I want an anti-virus program that will make it easy for me to constantly update myself to keep ahead (or close to) the latest viruses. ANy suggestions?

13. Dark Star

Dark Star

bj nick,

Glad you got Z/A loaded and working fine.

As to A/V you can go to the Trend Micro Icon in this link and download a freebie, the link is also beneficial for other reasons so you may want to bookmark it.

http://www.pchell.com/

DS

14. Del

Del

I tried many, but never regularly ran one until a couple months ago. I was going to try I-noculate? at some other techs advice and was redirected to My e-Trust. I tried it and it really impressed me. I have it on 3 machines on my network, a Win98, Win ME and mine, dual boot WinME and Win 2000Pro. Works fine on all three.
    It hasn't affected speed at all.
    When I installed it on the Win 98 machine, it found a virus and deleted it and the machine is running fine.
    It was on the WinME machine and it found a network induced virus, deleted it and turned off system restore so it couldn't be brought back, cleared it from restore files and turned system restore back on and running fine.
    I had someone email me a suspected email virus and it would not let me open it.
    You get a 60 day free trial and if you decide to keep it, it costs about $19 the first year and $9 each year after, this is US.
    They email you every time there is an updated signature file and I have gotten as many as 3 in one day.. I'm at the end of the free trial period. Yes I'm very impressed with it.
    You can read about it at the following site:
    http://www1.my-etrust.com/
    Del

15. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Hey Del- I decided to give e-trust a shot. I've installed the trial version and I'll keep you posted...thanks for the recommendation...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/56276

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice