1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Recommendations for a replacement mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Godmyeyesarebad!, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Godmyeyesarebad!

Godmyeyesarebad! Thread Starter

First Name:
    Stuart
    I recently experienced electrical storm damage to my router, Intel LAN card, and mobo in the PC (even thou' I have surge protectors!)

The mobo is a Gigabyte 870A-UD3 and currently unavailable. OS is Windows 7 64-bit, which I really do like and I do have the original disc and licence number.

I think it's a good idea to renew the CPU whilst I'm at it, because the PC is reasonably old but runs extremely well 24/7 with no problems. It has a newish Corsair AX-860 PSU, 16GB of new ram, and a Samsung SSD. The PC will not be used for gaming - just for watching films and videos and photo editing.

I'm in the process of buying another PC but this will have Window 10. The damaged PC will be used as a backup, so it won't be in constant use.

Has anyone got any suggestions for a replacement mobo please.

I have a copy of the last version I downloaded on the damaged PC for SysInfo - here it is:
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 10 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 6
    RAM: 16380 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 429 GB (304 GB Free); F: 5588 GB (1403 GB Free); K: 1862 GB (777 GB Free); L: 1863 GB (213 GB Free); M: 1863 GB (628 GB Free); N: 1863 GB (269 GB Free); O: 3726 GB (1339 GB Free); P: 1397 GB (859 GB Free); Q: 5588 GB (2829 GB Free); R: 3726 GB (1293 GB Free); S: 465 GB (309 GB Free); T: 4657 GB (2960 GB Free); U: 3725 GB (3725 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., GA-870A-UD3
    Antivirus: BullGuard Antivirus, Enabled and Updated​

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Surge protectors don't usually help if the problem comes through the phone line, cable line, or Ethernet cable.

Do you want to stay with AMD or go Intel? You will need to buy new RAM as new boards use DDR4. What's your budget?

3. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Tip: According to Microsoft, a new and different motherboard will require a new Microsoft Windows Product Key.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Not necessarily, if you are repairing your existing computer then you can generally get a re-activation and if it's a retail version of Windows then it doesn't matter at all.

5. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Correct on the Retail version. But if the other, Microsoft stated they had to tie the Product Key to some part of the computer and chose the motherboard. If you replace the motherboard with the same model, no problem. However, if you replace it with a different one, Microsoft considers it a new computer ... which requires a new Product Key. (The old Product Key dies with the motherboard).

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Except in most cases you just have to call them, tell them your motherboard died in your custom built computer and you are replacing the motherboard and they will activate it. If it's Dell, HP, or other big name brand then it does need to be another OEM motherboard that matches.

7. Godmyeyesarebad!

First Name:
    Stuart
    I don't have a preference for either AMD or Intel - I would just like a value-for-money motherboard. BTW, how can I tell if my disc is a retail version. It came with the custom-built PC in a presentation jewel-case with 'For distribution only with a PC' booklet with it. Is there such a thing as a DD3 motherboard still available or will I have to upgrade my RAM again?

8. lynx1021

lynx1021

9. lynx1021

lynx1021

That usually means it is an "OEM builder" copy and may not be transferable to a rebuilt PC.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That would probably make it not a retail but OEM version.

You can still buy DDR3 compatible boards, they will just be a previous generation.

11. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
  12. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

When upgrading a PC, when do I need a new OEM Windows license?

lynx1021 likes this.
  13. Godmyeyesarebad!

First Name:
    Stuart
    OK I understand all that has been said but it leaves you with very little option if they don't make that particular model any more. Yes, you can buy a refurbished item but I'm not sure about the durability of it. And how on earth can you find 'the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by that manufacturer's warranty.' I do have a computer engineer's report saying the mobo was damaged by a lightning strike and it's not being replaced because I fancy it! I really don't know which way to jump now.

14. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

15. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    As it's a backup PC I would just get the same or similar motherboard.

What country are you in ?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211804

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice