Solved Recommendations for a replacement mobo

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Godmyeyesarebad!

First Name
Stuart
I recently experienced electrical storm damage to my router, Intel LAN card, and mobo in the PC (even thou' I have surge protectors!)

The mobo is a Gigabyte 870A-UD3 and currently unavailable. OS is Windows 7 64-bit, which I really do like and I do have the original disc and licence number.

I think it's a good idea to renew the CPU whilst I'm at it, because the PC is reasonably old but runs extremely well 24/7 with no problems. It has a newish Corsair AX-860 PSU, 16GB of new ram, and a Samsung SSD. The PC will not be used for gaming - just for watching films and videos and photo editing.

I'm in the process of buying another PC but this will have Window 10. The damaged PC will be used as a backup, so it won't be in constant use.

Has anyone got any suggestions for a replacement mobo please.

I have a copy of the last version I downloaded on the damaged PC for SysInfo - here it is:
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 10 Stepping 0
Processor Count: 6
RAM: 16380 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series, -2048 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 429 GB (304 GB Free); F: 5588 GB (1403 GB Free); K: 1862 GB (777 GB Free); L: 1863 GB (213 GB Free); M: 1863 GB (628 GB Free); N: 1863 GB (269 GB Free); O: 3726 GB (1339 GB Free); P: 1397 GB (859 GB Free); Q: 5588 GB (2829 GB Free); R: 3726 GB (1293 GB Free); S: 465 GB (309 GB Free); T: 4657 GB (2960 GB Free); U: 3725 GB (3725 GB Free);
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., GA-870A-UD3
Antivirus: BullGuard Antivirus, Enabled and Updated​

Triple6

First Name
Rob
Surge protectors don't usually help if the problem comes through the phone line, cable line, or Ethernet cable.

Do you want to stay with AMD or go Intel? You will need to buy new RAM as new boards use DDR4. What's your budget?

Tip: According to Microsoft, a new and different motherboard will require a new Microsoft Windows Product Key.

Triple6

First Name
Rob
Not necessarily, if you are repairing your existing computer then you can generally get a re-activation and if it's a retail version of Windows then it doesn't matter at all.

Correct on the Retail version. But if the other, Microsoft stated they had to tie the Product Key to some part of the computer and chose the motherboard. If you replace the motherboard with the same model, no problem. However, if you replace it with a different one, Microsoft considers it a new computer ... which requires a new Product Key. (The old Product Key dies with the motherboard).

Triple6

First Name
Rob
Except in most cases you just have to call them, tell them your motherboard died in your custom built computer and you are replacing the motherboard and they will activate it. If it's Dell, HP, or other big name brand then it does need to be another OEM motherboard that matches.

Godmyeyesarebad!

First Name
Stuart
I don't have a preference for either AMD or Intel - I would just like a value-for-money motherboard. BTW, how can I tell if my disc is a retail version. It came with the custom-built PC in a presentation jewel-case with 'For distribution only with a PC' booklet with it. Is there such a thing as a DD3 motherboard still available or will I have to upgrade my RAM again?

When upgrading a PC, when do I need a new OEM Windows license?
Microsoft Director of Business & Sales Operations - Eric Ligman
Eric Ligman, Microsoft Director of Business & Sales Operations Blog
October 12, 2007 by Eric Ligman

Here is the official answer directly from the OEM System Builder website:

"Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on your customer’s computer and the end user customer may maintain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software, with the exception of an upgrade or replacement of the motherboard. An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a "new personal computer" to which Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred ...

Generally the follow-up question is, "If I am replacing a defective motherboard, can I use any motherboard to do so or does it have to be the same? If you look at the, "What is the difference between a refurbished PC and a used PC?" question on the same page and you will see:

"If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do NOT need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC. The replacement motherboard must be the same make/model or the same manufacturer’s replacement/equivalent, as defined by that manufacturer’s warranty."

Godmyeyesarebad!

First Name
Stuart
OK I understand all that has been said but it leaves you with very little option if they don't make that particular model any more. Yes, you can buy a refurbished item but I'm not sure about the durability of it. And how on earth can you find 'the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by that manufacturer's warranty.' I do have a computer engineer's report saying the mobo was damaged by a lightning strike and it's not being replaced because I fancy it! I really don't know which way to jump now.

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
As it's a backup PC I would just get the same or similar motherboard.

What country are you in ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts