1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recommendations For Good DLL Cleaner

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by flavallee, Jan 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

First Name:
    Frank
    I have over 1,600 DLL files in my 98SE desktop, and with some of them dating back to 1994.

Does anyone have recommendations for a good DLL cleaner for getting rid of obsolete and unused DLL files?

2. RSM123

RSM123

3. polak

polak

The paid version of JV-16 Power Tools has a function under its "File Tools" function that scans and identifies unused DLL's.

http://www.jv16.org/

4. hewee

hewee

5. prowler351

prowler351

ONLY 1600?!!! wow, im in trouble,ive got 9,648

well, i tried to download it from your link, but after i installed it , it just says wow, this is a real old version of jv16 power tools , go to jv16.org to download the new version :(

well, i got the new trial version of jv16 powertools, but how good is it? would it be safe to use the registry cleaner and remove everything (853 things actualy) it finds?

6. hewee

hewee

I know it is old but it is a free version site.

There is the last free RegCleaner 4.3.0.780 there also.
    They have links to home pages so you can see how old the version is for software by going there.

7. prowler351

prowler351

it wouldnt let me use the software though. that screen is ALL that pops up when you hit the .exe file

8. hewee

hewee

What others I know have downloaded and used it but I have not tried it. So was thinking it was good. Sorry about that.

Will I just got it and installed it but get this when I try to use it.
    That sucks :(

Attached Files:

9. polak

polak

10. polak

polak

Oops, the author of JV16 must have shut down the downloads for v.1.3.0.195. It's a Chinese site and was still working about 4-5 days ago. Just tried it after my earlier post and found it doesn't download v.1.3.0.195 anymore.

11. hewee

hewee

polak,

Thanks for the links.
    Wow a even older version of JV16 still works.
    When does it time out? (next week?)

I have the AnalogX DLL but only used it to do a backup of all the dll files on me PC.

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    My Windows 98SE desktop has 1,606 DLL's, to be exact. I went through the entire list last night and found 29 of them with newer versions in the C:\WINDOWS\VCM folder than were in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder, so I copied them there. I also found 11 VXD files that were related to Windows 95(4.00.1111 and 4.00.950), so I deleted them.

I used JV16 Power Tools awhile back before it became a pay version. The scan failed to show any "unused" DLL's.

13. Bold_Fortune

Bold_Fortune

I've always found dll cleaning utilities to be so unreliable. They may find a bunch of dlls that your system really doesn't use, but they always seem to find two or three that your system really really does use, and then you make yourself crazy trying to sort though all the removed dlls figuring out which two or three you need to replace.

For removing uneeded dlls, a little effort on your part is always best. I run Windows XP, and I've actually removed 705 Individual files (dlls and other uneeded system files) from the system32 folder, and I did it without a utility.

You can start by sorting the dlls in order or date created. Set the View to view descriptions of files, and Show Details. Also choose Company.

If you have a good backup program, and your drive is partitioned, you can make a copy of the folder 98's dlls are in (it's been awhile for me with 98, so I don't remember where they are) put it on another partition, and then do a "temporary" new installation of 98, do all your updates, and put in all the programs you are using now, then copy that folder again, and put it on the other partition with the other.

Set this folder from your new installation to view as Date Created. Then copy and paste the files from the first folder you made from your older installation. When Windows asks "Do you want to over-ride this copy of a file?" just keep clicking no. It will then only place files the folder doesn't have in it already.

There you have it. You'll then see all the files your system no longer requires.

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Thanks for your input, B_F. Manually sorting through 1,606 DLL's wasn't too bad. I didn't delete any of them, but I copied 29 of them with a newer version from the C:\WINDOWS\VCM folder to the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder. I'm curious about the DLL's with 1994 - 1996 dates, but I'm leaving them alone for right now.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!