Recommendations? Round 2

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Looker1010

For Black Friday last year, I decided to build a new rig. I'd done it last in 2011, and everything went right. Machine hummed to life and it served me well, for a long time.

Last Black Friday, everything went wrong. I ended up busting two motherboards, and never got the machine working.

I decided to call a professional tech who could diagnose my machine, determine what wasn't working right, besides the motherboard (or if that was it), and put it together properly with replacement parts.

Then the pandemic hit and I had to wait.

In my part of the United States, at least, the virus is under enough control that I was ready to order a new board and contact a tech who could pick up my new machine, which is still sitting in one of my closets, install the new board, and bring it back.

But a lot can happen in just eight months. It seems most of the model parts I'd bought, particularly the motherboard, are discontinued and can no longer be ordered -- or if so, they cost practically double the original price. I am still on a tight budget, that will always be the case with me.

Here is a list of the parts I bought from Newegg and Amazon. I'm looking for suitable recommendations for alternative parts. This time I'll ask an independent tech or a store to put it together-- probably a store so they can ship it to me.

The original parts were as follows:

ASRock Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4 AM4 AMD Promontory X470 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core 3.7 GHz (4.3 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 105W YD270XBGAFBOX Desktop Processor

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R

Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 3D2, QLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDPEKNW010T8X1

XFX RX-590P8DFD6 Radeon Rx 590 Fatboy 8GB OC+ 1580MHz DDR5 3xDP HDMI DVI Graphic Card

WD Black 2TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD2003FZEX

CORSAIR HX Series HX750 CP-9020137-NA 750W ATX12V v2.4 / EPS12V 2.92 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Power Supply.

ASUS Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E818AAT (DVD-E818AAT/BLK/B/GE) (x2)

Cooler Master HAF 912 - Mid Tower Computer Case with High Airflow, Supporting up to Six 120mm Fans and USB 3.0

Looking for recommendations for alternative parts.

** -- For a chassis/casing, I'd like something with room for me to put in extra fans, an extra hard drive, and two DVD drives, if possible.

Do you want to keep the mobo? I would if it works.

I would get a Ryzen 7 3700 (X) is optional if you're going to OC (over clock) If not, no X. You may need a BIOS update for new CPU. It comes with the Wraith Prism CPU cooler.

Then some Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 2 X 8GB sticks at 3200mhz...CAS 16 will be fine and less expensive.

For your M.,2 I would go with a Samsung 970 pro

For your GPU....depending on your gaming needs I would go Nvida EVGA RTX 2060

As far as case goes....I'm partial to Corsair and ThermalTake due to that's what I've owned. Depending on your personal tastes and sizes. I'd go with a large mid tower.

Your PSU, HDD and optical drive are fine....just keep in mind when picking a case that it has those options...ie internal HDD cage, 5.25 front panel bays and a large enough area to accommodate that PSU. Most cases can hand the standard 180mm in length.

Looker1010

That model motherboard is discontinued and cannot be back ordered. Only place I found one for sale, it was double the original price.

*IF* the one in my non-functional rig (that I THINK is ruined, but might not be) works after all, then I'm in luck. But if it's defunct, I will need to find an alternative.

That model motherboard is discontinued and cannot be back ordered.
Not true.....

Only place I found one for sale, it was double the original price.
That's due to supply and demand of Covid-19......everything is out of stock everywhere.

*IF* the one in my non-functional rig (that I THINK is ruined, but might not be) works after all, then I'm in luck. But if it's defunct, I will need to find an alternative
Correct....then just bump up to the X570 mobo....brand of your choice. I like Asus and inparticular their ROG Gaming series boards.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online