1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

recommendations

Discussion in 'Networking' started by moboo, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moboo

moboo Thread Starter

I am thinking of replacing my linksys model BEFCMU10 modem and router because it constantly every couple of minutes disconnects and reconnects. I am looking for recommendations for a new one.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You might try to get some more life out of that one by a firmware upgrade and/or reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure.

For a new one I recommend that you consider whether you want another combination unit or separate modem and router, how much you want to pay, if you want wireless whether you want the tried and true 802.11g or take a chance on a draft 'n' (the draft is pretty solid now I've heard), whether you need/want and special features (e.g., parental controls), etc.

3. moboo

moboo Thread Starter

I have the two seperate units. A modem and wireless router. I have always had the problem from day one.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If it's the router dropping connection definitely try the firmware upgrade (often fixes such problems) and the reset to factory defaults (sometimes "shocks"it into behaving).

If it is the router, and the disconnects continue, temporarily disable the wireless on the router to make sure that you are not dealing with a wireless interference issue.

You can try a computer connected directly to the modem (power cycle the modem when switching devices connected to it) to make sure the problem lies within the router.

5. dannyn

dannyn

what is your budget?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/675778

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice