1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

reconfiguring disk space

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by brenton_s, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brenton_s

brenton_s Thread Starter

My c: is full! but my d: still has 70% space. Can I reconfigure d: to give c: more disk space? I would prefer to keep both drives. For some reason the computer came from the shop like this and c: has very little memory allocated (about 5 gig). any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I assume these are two partitions on the same physical disk. You will need a third party app like partition magic or acronis partition expert to do this without destroying all data on the disk. Both of these will allow you to resize your partitions. I just used acronis to resize the partitions on my wife's computer. It works well and is easy to use. With any operation such as this BACKUP anything important before you start.

If you do not care about destroying all data on the disk, you can boot with your xp or win2k cd and delete both partitions and create one of a larger size. Install the os and all apps and games.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW 5 gig is just enough for win2k. For xp, I would set at least 7-10 gig. The shop did it like this so you can restore just the os; your data is still on D. The intent [by the shop] is that you install all apps and games to D. If you have installed anything to C, this takes up space as well and can lead to problems.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268893

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice