1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reconfiguring Newly Installed Windows 2000 to recognize printer and install software

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by WHD2, May 6, 2010.

?

Can you reconfigure Windows 2000 to recognize a printer and network

Poll closed May 9, 2010.
  1. Can you reconfigure Windows 2000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Have you ever upgraded from Windows 98 to Windows 2000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WHD2

WHD2 Banned Thread Starter

I recently got my operating system "upgraded" from Windows 98 2nd Ed to Windows 2000 Professional. This was clearly a BIG MISTAKE! But what's done is done. But Windows 2000 will not recognize either my HP Officejet 6310 All-in-one network printer on a router as it did easily with Windows 98! Nor will it recognize the network apparently. My other computer with XP easily recognizes the printer and network and I have re-installed the software on occasion easily. I was told by the so-called "Geek Squad" that it would cost $150 to send someone to the house and "reconfigure" the just-installed operating system. The "Geek Squad" has no problem returning a computer to a customer which does not work! (A word to the wise.) I read the instructions which came with the Windows 2000 operating system and the instructions which came with the printer to no avail. I signed in as the administrator to no avail. Can anyone give me an ABC flow sheet what to do? I think someone who knows could do it in a couple of minutes probably. I have the CD for the Printer software and have also tried downloading the Internet version. I get messages that the network has to be reconfigured, etc. etc.
    Thanks very much knowledgeable ones.

Bill Depperman

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Check device manager, are there any drivers missing, or any errors?

3. WHD2

Your response was: "Check device manager, are there any drivers missing, or any errors?"

I do not know where I would check for drivers and do not know how to locate the "device manager." I have already downloaded the software for the printer over the Internet.

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

5. WHD2

I checked the device manager and there are NO printers recognized just as I said. Any other ideas to get Windows 2000 to recognize the printer and the network?

6. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

If you are not going to answer my specific questions, then I cannot help you.

7. WHD2

Sorry! There are no drivers missing and there are no errors.

8. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Thanks Bill, I am not sure what the problem is but what IO do know is most "upgrades" from one OS to another usually do not give good results. The best way to move to a newer OS is to do what is called a Clean Install, this leaves no traces of the old OS behind, which can cause problems.

All I can suggest is to back up all your important data and do a clean install of W2K.

BTW, did you get the HP printer software from here?
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=181&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=1119598

9. WHD2

Yes, that's precisely where I got it! I do not dare try to back up my data myself. I had to return 3 times to Geek Squad to get that right. Otherwise thanks a lot, Mumbodog. This problem probably requires the very top hacker level to do it. That is very rare. You would probably have to work for NSA.Thanks again.

10. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support and software site for the HP Officejet 6310 All-In-One printer.

Read the "Solve a problem" and "Getting started" sections.

Here are the driver downloads for Windows 2000.

It doesn't list any driver downloads for Windows 98 or Windows ME, so I'm somewhat surprised that you had it working with Windows 98.

----------------------------------------------------------------

11. WHD2

Windows 98 is a very easy operating system and does NOT require all sorts of drivers. Then Microsoft started the thing with drivers and making their operating systems user unfriendly. People complained and by the time of Windows XP drivers were no longer needed for everything and the software supplied with the hardware, e.g. HP Officejet 6310 All-in-one. The software was sufficient for both the Windows 98 2d Ed and Windows XP. Then came "Vista." Forget about it. Everything you really never ever would ever need! It requires almost your whole hard drive (not quite). So then they came up with Windows 7 which is just Vista more or less stripped down.
    But I think the Geekers were right when they said that the Windows 2000 that was just installed in a so-called "upgrade" DOES need to be reconfigured. This is NOT, repeat NOT an easy fix. In fact, I would not put it past the so-called "Geek Squad" to have deliberately DISconfigured the Windows 2000 in such a way that only THEY or a top hacker level tech could reconfigure it to accept a printer. Any printer. Besides it is $150 extra dollars that they KNOW the customer might be forced to spend to pay for one of their jokers to come out and tweak it in 2 (two) seconds so that it will work. So you have to be familiar with reconfiguration of Windows operating systems. Repeat this is NOT for beginners or even intermediate computer techs I think. A person has to know operating systems like the back of his hand. AND have actually done this precise fix previously. This website probably has a few such people but not many. But there ARE many well-meaning people on this website but I do not think it will be enough. Maybe eventually someone will know what to do. I do thank you very much by the way and I have been to all those websites you mentioned through hyperlinks, etc. But this is WAY beyond that I think.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I removed your email address from your post. Posting your email like that is like having a blinking neon sign that says please spam me.

Next you post that this was an upgrade. Are you sure it was an in place upgrade or did they do a clean install of win2k?
    If it was in fact an in place upgrade, going from win9x/dos based os to a NT based os is very problematic. A clean install of win2k is the only way to go.

13. WHD2

I can no longer reply to anyone at this site I get the message: The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 3 characters.

14. WHD2

Well, I will try again. That got through. In reply to your post: It was a clean install by the Geek Squad at Best Buy. All data was saved and restored to the computer including MS Word Files, Thunderbird Local Folders, Thunderbird Email addresses and Bookmarks for Firefox. But it took 3 trips returning to the store each time before it finally was done. On the third attempt I was there with the person who did it. He told me that nothing had been done previously to restore the data after the operating system had been changed and the data saved. In any case other geekers the following day told me what appears in my original post. So, I guess I do need the NSA level people to do this so I can have a printer again. Obviously the NSA would not do it and is the one who sends computer viruses to political anti-capitalist opposition activists. In any case no one has a clue what to do in what should be a very simply problem.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is a simple process. You simply install your driver/software then connect the printer when directed to connect the printer. If you connect it first most HP installs fail.

Post a screenshot of device manager. If you do not know how to post a screenshot, here are the instructions;
    1 With device manager open hit the "PrtScr" key.
    2 Open any file view like paint, irfanview, etc Click edit>paste
    3 Save the file as a jpeg type file
    4 In the forum click the "Go Advanced" button. Then click manage attachments
    5 A window opens; click browse and tell it where you saved the file
    6 Click upload. Done.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921473

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice