1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reconnecting Linksys Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by FZWG, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

Appreciate some assistance.

Helping these folks who had a cable modem and 2 PCs connected to a router. Both PCs had the hard drive reformatted and Windows Me reinstalled.

While all this was taking place, the router was disconnected from its power source and set aside. The PCs are now ready to be connected to the router once again, along with the cable modem.

Since the router (Linksys with 4 PC connectors and 1 cable modem connector) was shut down (no power), does it have to be reset from scratch again (hard reset), or will it work if reconnected and powered up again?

Thanks for the help.

2. Bruce319

Bruce319

All the routers that I know does not clear the settings when they get unpluged. The only way to reset the router is to manually press a button on the back of the router. In other words, as soon as the router has power again, it will keep the original settings. However, you're going to need to setup the network settings (ie. workgroup/domain) on the computers since you reinstalled Windows Me.

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

If the Network Cards are installed, I would assume that they are setup for DHCP by default.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Isn't this the same problem you had another thread on? Did you try what I told you to do? You shouldn't have to do anything to the router or broadband modem, outside of plugging them in and connecting the cables.

5. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

Will plug in the cable modem and 2 PCs to the router and let them rip. Hopefully, as you say, it will be happy sailing!!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170611

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice