1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reconnecting Mapped Network Drive on Boot Fails

Discussion in 'Networking' started by b1177, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. b1177

b1177 Thread Starter

Hi,

I am trying to connect to a wireless Hard Drive storage unit with a PC running Vista. I can connect to it just fine with a login and password and all works well in that department. My problem is with mapping it to a network drive. I go through the motions (My Computer -> Map Network Drive -> Select Drive Letter -> \\192.168.10.111\sharedfolder) and the login and password to connect are unique so I click 'connect using a different username' and type in the correct information. All seems well, except that when I reboot I get the message that it could not connect to the network drives. If I try to access the drive it asks me for a password (the username is what I set it to in the 'different username' prompt) and I type in the same password that I put in at the 'different username' prompt, and it connects fine. So the login and password are all correct, it just doesn't want to connect on boot. Any ideas as to what the problem may be?

Also while I'm at it, just a quick question: When you connect to a shared network for the first time it will bring up that "Connect To..." dialogue and ask for U/P. When you type it in you can connect to the drive, but any subsequent times you try to connect it won't ask for the U/P. So how do I go about changing the user connecting to that device without having to log off and back on again?

b1177

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971197