1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reconnecting when not desired

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Gary_R_King, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gary_R_King

Gary_R_King Thread Starter

Somtetimes I'll have just disconnected when my dial-up connection will try toreconnect me. Why is that?

2. Del

Del

When you disconnect, do you have OE or IE open?

3. Del

Del

What operating system are you running?

4. Del

Del

Gary, you'd do better to post here as everyone could see your answers and possible help out.
    So it happens with both IE and OE closed.
    You also told me you're running Win 98..

5. Jtoast

Jtoast

1) download a copy of either spybot or adaware and let it clean the spyware from your system.

if its still doing it then

2) open explorer, tools, internet options, connections tab and select "never dial a connection".

6. Del

Del

But he's using dialup???

7. Jtoast

Jtoast

yea...i guess it does add an extra step. You have to doubleclick on your connection manually to make it dial, then open the browser.

I have my system set up this way because my kids are always downloading and installing some form of spyware or another and this keeps my machine from dialing out 24/7 until I spybot it again.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118292

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice