Solved Record Audio Stream Daily at Given Times

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I listen to a local radio station's live content through its website as well as on the car radio while driving. They have two segments that I am not always able to catch while driving. Is there a free or low-cost program that I can run on my desktop that will capture and save whatever is playing through my computer at given times on a daily basis? In my case, it would be from 8:00 AM to 8:30 AM and 6:45 PM to 7:00 PM, every Monday through Friday. I see that Audacity has a timed recording function, but is only for a one-time event, rather than repeating. I don't need software that can capture the stream directly, just record whatever is playing through the sound controller is good enough. I am running Windows 10 Pro.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Thank you for the Apowersoft link. Someone else had suggested it to me. At $60 USD, I did not consider it as a low-cost option for the basic function I needed and other features I did not need.

I had done a few Google searches before posting here and was getting too many results that were close, but would not work for one reason or another. That is why I was hoping someone here might be familiar with suitable software.

After a couple of days of searches and testing, I think I found something that will work for me, PlayIt Recorder. I like the price (free) and it has the basic features that I need. It does not capture the stream directly but records whatever is playing through the speakers. I just need to make sure I keep the radio station's "Listen Live" page open and playing in the browser in the morning and the volume is at maximum.

https://www.playitsoftware.com/Products/Recorder

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
PlayIt Recorder worked for almost a month with no issues and then I think the radio station changed how they streamed. I would make sure everything was set-up at 6:00 AM. I now come home in the evening to find the player stopped. The 8:00 - 8:30 AM segments are recorded, but the 5:45 - 6:15 PM segments were recently showing zero seconds. They run listener drawings with the number of entries based on the hours listened. They may have caught on that people leave the streams running with no one listening to rack up hours.

I may go old school and set up my a boom-box to receive the station and feed the headphones output into the PC's line input jack.

Gr3iz

Mark
Is there any way you could write a simple script and use the Task Scheduler to start the broadcast and recorder?

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The station does have apps for Android and ios. For Windows, you access a page on their website.

https://live.wdrv.com/listen/

The default upon opening the page is to have the player off. I have Windows set to turn the display off after an hour but leave the computer on all the time.

I have the Android version of their app sideloaded on an Amazon Fire Tablet. I usually have it playing through a Bluetooth speaker when I am in the house on weekends and one time I saw a pop-up asking if I was still listening with a clickable "Yes". I suspect that they may be doing something similar.

The morning guys have a contest called Five at 8:05 that actually plays anywhere from 8:05 to 8:25. Three or four of the rock music related questions are something people might know or easily lookup. The other questions are a lot harder and lately have been taken from some video of an interview with a rock musician and not documented on any an easy to find webpage. The game is heavily discussed on their Facebook fan page with people dissecting the questions word by word to get any kind of extra clue out of a particular word or phrase choice as well as previous wrong answers. If you think you know your rock trivia, we are currently stuck on question #3. The first three questions are in the attached zipped mp3 file.

Attachments

Gr3iz

Mark
I don't know what they mean by "drive artist", but my guesses would be either Alice Cooper or Lou Reed.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The station call letters are WDRV and they call themselves "The Drive". They play "Classic Rock" with a mix of artists but they have some, like Led Zeppelin, on heavy rotation. Alice Cooper and Lou Reed would both qualify and Alice Cooper may have already been guessed.

Oddba11

Jim
I have Replay Media Catcher from Appian that I use for video streaming. They have audio related programs as well.

I've had it several years now, and like two years ago I got the entire suite on Black Friday for a great deal (ie: cheaper than just the part that I actually want, use, and have installed). In any case, most of their products are try free for x amount of time.

> https://applian.com/products

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I (unfortunately?) installed Replay Media Catcher to try it out. It apparently installed something called Applian Director along they way. I was able to uninstall Media catcher a few days later without any reported errors. Applian Director refuses to uninstall. I try to run the uninstall through Windows 10 and am asked for confirmation to run it and I give it permission to run. Director still showed up in task manager when I restarted the computer.

Oddba11

Jim
Director is main program which all of the other programs fall under. I've not tried to uninstall it myself, but when uninstalling any software I use Revo.

Having said that, I don't know the Replay Media Catcher is the best solution for your needs (its geared towards video), but there are audio specific programs that they offer.

Sorry for your issues.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
As far as I can tell, the free PlayIt Recorder works perfectly. The problem may be with how the radio station streams its programming. It may now stop it if left playing without user activity. It now does it with their Android streaming app. I had it playing on my tablet one evening while doing other things and the screen lit up and showed a "Are you still listening" pop-up after a few hours.

I had two versions of Applian Director installed and one shows a much earlier version number. I may have tried some other Applian app some time ago and uninstalled the app. I wonder if the double installation may be confusing the uninstaller. I will give the free version of Revo a shot at it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online