1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Record keeping of the printed records

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by hashdove, May 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hashdove

hashdove Thread Starter

I have an Access database used on daily basis to print maintenance work order. Each work order is assigned with an auto field No. I have a commend button assigned to print each record in a report format. On clicking command button, i enter the record number to be printed and it previews the report and check for accuracy of data entered. Once checked, i click on the print icon to print the same.

My question is, is there any method to find out the record i am going to print now is already printed before? A kind of record keeping of the printed records. Also, the same method shall help me to find out how many times each record is printed?

Hope someone can help me

2. Sponsor

3. plejon

plejon

I'm not an access expert, but I would work like this :

1) Add a boolean field "Printed" to your record
    2) Default value of this field upon record creation = false
    3) Add a small piece of VB code to your print button that sets the boolean field to True

4. THoey

THoey

Since you also want to keep track of the number of times the record was printed, instead of the Boolean field that Plejon suggested, make it a number field and set it's initial value to zero. After every print, have this field be incremented by one.

5. THoey

THoey

Hashdove, please keep your questions here in the thread. It will get answered quicker (I am not always on TSG) and better (Someone else may have a better idea) that way.

How do you create your records now? Is there a form?

6. hashdove

hashdove Thread Starter

As suggested, i have added a number fied. How can i set the initial value to zero and make an increment by one after each print. can anyone help me for this.

7. hashdove

hashdove Thread Starter

Yes, I have a Form which creates the records.

8. plejon

plejon

Hashdove asked

I'm not familiar with VBA, but judging from the description in the access help file, I think PrintCount is a function used during the printing of a report. I don't think it will count the number of times a certain record has been printed.

Go for THOEY's solution: keep a variable in your records that count the number of times a record has been printed.

For exact syntax, you might want to post a message in the "development" forum, which seems more appropriate than this "bus appl." forum

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/131924