1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Record Selector, Access 2000

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Hect, Nov 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hect

Hect Thread Starter

Of what use is the record selector in a form? How does it work? It is a grey vertical bar on the left with a black triangle at the top. It doen't seem to do anything. In my manual and online help, the only thing that I can find is how to get rid of it, which I did, but I would like to know the purpose of it. Thanks.

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

depends what you use it for, perhaps it's just a default setting?

i've rarely seen or used it in a dbase
    - it should take you to the rec# you enter, but how often do you have rec#s memorized or listed

usually use a name field attached to a 'goto'

the only useful record finder is the first/last/next record command you can use - similar to what you see in adobe .pdf files for page numbers

JMO

3. downwitchyobadself

downwitchyobadself

The record selector is for two (relatively useless, depending on the sophistication of your app) things:

1. Grab the record you're on to do something to it, usually delete it. Clicking on the record selector does exactly like what it sounds like it would do; it "selects" it, to then copy or whatever. Without this, and without using code, there is no other way to do this quickly (tho you can go through the menu, Edit > Select Record). If you don't want your users selecting records--and I certainly never do--then you don't need it for this.

2. The other purpose is for subforms and other "continuous" view forms. It shows, quite simply, which record is "active", through the little black arrow. Useful at least to understand--see an example of what happens when we don't here--that only one record may be active at a time. Though, of course, in a continuous-view form or datasheet, you may select multiple records at one time, as in #1 above.

That's it. Once you understand that, well, you should know whether you need them or not...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice