1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recorded Video from Desktop will not play on Laptop

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by CarrollM, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CarrollM

CarrollM Thread Starter

I had posted a question a while back about setting up a network and with the answers from "Tech Guy"did get a system working just fine. My Desktop is a Dell Dimension 8400 with XP Media center OS and the laptop is a Toshiba Satellite with Windows Vista Premium. I have two external drives the one I use primarily in storing my present personal active files including a file that stores recording media which the desktop Media Center gets from the TV cable connection. Then this file is also available via the network to the laptop. With the external drive all my other stored files from the desktop are also available on my laptop. Lately I have had several movie downloads and several repeats of the series "Jag"which play on the desktop but will not play on the laptop with various excuses for them not playing like "Cannot play this format:" or " for one reason or another "not authorized to play". I would think the recordings between the two Media Centers would be identical unless Microsoft has changed that too with Vista. I am very unhappy with Vista.

Carrollm

2. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

It may be that the laptop has not the same codec installed as the desktop used to encode the file.

You can download Gspot and see if the laptop does have the codec.

3. CarrollM

CarrollM Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply Daddyhominum. This only happens once in awhile but the majority of the time I can play all of the movies and shows recorded by the Media center on the desktop ( 2005) and they play with no problem on the laptop. I have had possible only 4 or 5 shows where a problem showed up and these happen to be the ones I wanted show in the front room to my wife. I thank you but am lost as how to locate the codec on either computer but I would assume this would be in Media Center.. Would this not effect all recordings though?

Carrollm

4. JeffM

JeffM

Just #Google# ' on the Laptop for the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack and it will solve all your problems

5. phoenixxx86

phoenixxx86

Hey Carrol, just thought I'd attach the link here for you:

K-Lite Codec Pack

The Standard version should work fine. Just untick the "Windows Media Classic" option during install if you want to use the program you are currently using (probably Windows Media Player) to play the videos.

6. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Or create a host of new ones.

To the OP do realize that Vista has much more copying protection/DRM going. Hence messages like "not authorized to play".

When you say downloads do you mean your own recordings or other sources? If other souces drop the offending file into GSpot, it will most likely tell you which one codec you may need.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

7. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

There are many codecs in general usage. A codec is an "EN co dec ODE" program that uses unigue scripting to create a file. Generally, you need the same encoder/decoder(codec) script to play a file as the one that created it. Your laptop may be missing a needed codec.

You can find a list of codecs for each computer in Control Panel>System> Hardware>Device manager>sounds video and game controllers>video codecs>properties

You will need to use a program like Gspot to identify which codec is needed by a particular file or you can install a codec package to both computers in the hopes the package contains the codec you need. K-Lite probably does.

The most common missing codec seems to be MPEG-2 . ffdshow contains a decoder or you can download Stinky's from the 'net.

8. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Those are just a few basic Windows codecs. As an expamle I show 13 codecs there. A program such as Codec Sniper shows 194.

I'd say that most of the time folks talk about AVI's not playing. Xvid or ffdshow will usually do the trick.

9. CarrollM

CarrollM Thread Starter

Thanks a million to all the answers to my problem It seems now most of the recordings ran on my laptop that would not play will now but a few older ones do not. All of the information on "Tech guy"has been very enlighting to me on this subject and as one answer has suggested doing the same on the desktop Dell XP to update the codecs there I will be doing that, but will they effect the recordings? My main purpose setting up this system was to be able to sit in the front room with my wife and use my computer and solving this problem is a great help toward doing that. We are too old and married to long to be in separate rooms and I always felt very selfish doing this.May all of your computer problems be solved as well as mine have been.

Carrollm

10. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

A media plays that that is far superior to wmp is VLC media playes it will play all video formats and music formats to.. Its free open source software www.videolan.org

I play all my movies on my LCD TV with this player.its available for most os systems.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/760145

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice