1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recording a Large bootable image to Multiple Discs

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bill.aam, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bill.aam

bill.aam Thread Starter

We have a laptop that we used Ghost to create an image, Ghost broke it down into three (3) files totaling about 5.2gb. We've used Roxio 6.0 in the past to make bootable CD's and DVD's, however those we single disks. Now this image wants to use 2 DVD's, there is an option to create a CD/DVD using multiple disks, however the problem is when I try to make it bootable it changes to a single disk. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance..

2. stantley

stantley

How about using a dual layer DVD, that is if you have a dual layer burner.

3. bill.aam

bill.aam Thread Starter

Good Idea, but like you mentioned, we don't have a dual layer burner. The boss won't spring for one either.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd consider a USB hard disk, it's painless to do backups to them. :)

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I have always used the boot floppy and a cd burner to span the image across a couple of cd's. Your other option would be to use an actual Image Server instead. Image it over the network.

If you want something free for imaging to a server, I have always wanted to try Ghost for Unix but never had the time. Thought it would be a cool project to check out.
    http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

In answer to your original question ghost should prompt you for you to add the next disk in the image span automatically.

Why not take 2 of the images put it to 1 DVD and make it bootable then put the 3rd image on another dvd?

The other options are good ideas but the second disk does NOT have to be bootable as you already are booted and into ghost by the time you need to access that section of the image file.

7. bill.aam

bill.aam Thread Starter

This is what we currently do, however our previous images were contained on a single DVD-R, how ever do to the home office coming up with new standard software we have now gone onto a second DVD-R. Roxio is what we use for burning the DVD's, ghost is what we use to create the image files. Roxio has an option for using multiple discs, however when I now select the option to make the DVD-R bootable it goes to a single DVD-R project. So we are kinda lost here.. Thanks for the suggestions and looking forward to any other suggestions, comments or help in resolving this...

Bill

8. bill.aam

bill.aam Thread Starter

That may work if we were ghosting the image to a DVD-R, but we have to ghost to a network drive.. Some of the other "computers" on the shop floor that collect weld and balance data don't always have a network connection (connected only when we need a new or update image, and this can only happen twice a year, December shutdown and the July shutdown) So this is why we need to have the images on a DVD-R so we can walk out to the "computers" plug in a USB DVD-Rom and run a bootable DVD, as these "computers" have only one USB port and no ps2 port so we can't connect a keyboard so the re-imaging is all with user input. (I work in the automotive industry and they are very reluctant to spend money on IT equipment) So we have to try to work with what we have..

9. geezup

geezup

I have had the sam problem , there is a boot cd http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hiren.thanki/bootcd.html

Make another partition on the same hard drive and boot with the cd and create the image into the second partion. Limit it so that you get what ever amount you want , by default it makes it so that it can fit onto a cd , ( might split into 3 or 4 cd's , if you want split into 2 dvd's)
    Next boot a machine you want to ghost with the same cd Hirens , and choose from disk to partion and select and put in your dvd's that hold the images and browse to them in the in ghost and select the image. If multiple cds are used it will prompt you for the next one. Let me know if you need the CD I can offer you a place to download it from.

10. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

My only suggestion is go blueray dual layer or something that fits the data... If you can't do any user input you have to use a media larger than what you have and make it all 100% automated.

Even a USB drive will have to have some input to have it ghost unless you use a USB drive and swap out hdd's for each type.

11. new tech guy

new tech guy

My simple way of backing up a pc is to clone it to another hd like johnwill said. I use the utility from a hd i had to install to the pc for cloning but if you look there are plenty freeware apps on the net. But i dont know how it can be done if you have the backup on the external hd and the hd is internal, how are you going to get the cloning program to recognize the hd in a pre-windows state and if the internal hd is shot. Unless you use a PE to run the program for the cloning. Bart PE is a good one (thanks john i read the suggestion in one of your posts and it paid off well). Here is a link to bart: http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
    it can build a bootable cd version of your os where you can run the cloneing utility and restore the system with it if it ever goes down.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486312

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice