1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

recording company sues keyboard manufactures

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by buddhafabio, Oct 9, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. buddhafabio

buddhafabio Thread Starter

Keyboard Manufacturers Named in DMCA Suit (Politics)

By wji
    Thu Oct 9th, 2003 at 05:33:55 AM EST

German-based media giant Bertelsmann Group has launched a 400 million dollar lawsuit against major hardware manufacturers, alleging they traffic in banned circumvention devices that can be used to illegally copy their music CDs. It says that the Digital Millenium Copyright Act entitles it to protection from devices that can be used to circumvent its technological protections against piracy. Specifically, it demands compensation for the inclusion of "Shift" buttons on standard computer keyboards.

the rest of the story

2. Gibble

Gibble

3. buddhafabio

buddhafabio Thread Starter

they can pry my shiftkey keyboard from my cold dead hands

4. Gibble

Gibble

It's easier to break this "encryption" than the sharpie marker trick that broke that other system

5. Gibble

Gibble

6. Paquadez

Paquadez

I just loved the arrogant claims of Ford, when they proudly announced some years ago that they had developed a "Foolproof" anti-theft device.

A UK electronics engineer, was so insensed, he developed the "Grabber".

The way it worked was simple.

You waited 'till a guy was parking his top-range Ford and as he pressed the "Lock" bit of his keyfob, it sent an RF signal to the RX in the car.

The guy with the "Grabber" hid behind a convenient tree (i.e.) and "Received" the coded digital signal and as soon as the owner was gone, switched "The Grabber" from receive to "Transmit" and sent the coded signal back to the car------------------which promptly unlocked itself and dis-abled the anti-theft device!

Same with Sky: spent a fortune ($50 mill I seem to recall) developing a "Foolproof" scrambling device for sat TV transmissions.

Took three French software engineers all of three weeks to bust it!

Will these guys NEVER learn?

If you make your product cheaper, the volume goes up and the bother of pirating it isn't worth the time.

And, you make bigger profist.

Paq

7. fredman

fredman

The next thing you know these morons will be telling us it's illegal to use white-out on our monitors to correct mistakes......

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!