1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recording games for tutorial review...

Discussion in 'Games' started by larryh10000, Feb 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryh10000

larryh10000 Thread Starter

Is it legal to record and post on YouTube a software game for the purposes of a tutorial - I mean it's not like I would be selling anything to make money and the person viewing the video can't actually play the game?

I see hundreds of tutorials of major current software games being recorded and posted to YouTube - of course that doesn't make it legal. I would like to do one of these tutorials of Donkey Kong but not if I am going to get into trouble. I would post it on YouTube for free use to help users get through the hard spots of the game. I would receive NO monies for this.

What do you think LEGAL or ILLEGAL?

2. SM4SH

SM4SH

First, I am not a lawyer.

My understanding of this is that is kind of a gray area. Some game studios don't seam to mind, but others like Nintendo have often claimed copy write on videos containing their content. Nintendo recently changed their policy on YouTube videos you can Google "Nintendo YouTube policy" for all the info.

If your not interested in making any money, then I wouldn't worry about it. Nintendo is probably not going to come after you, the worst that would happen it that they clam ad revenue from your video.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143941

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice