1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recording issues for both Audacity and Simplecast

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by megaton, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. megaton

megaton Thread Starter

Hello all

This is a rather complicated and annoying problem. Until a few weeks ago I was able to stream music online through Simplecast and record music in Audacity with clarity.

However recently I have had problems where in Audacity only the left channel was recording so that any output came through the left speaker. The audio input level meter showing the mic outputs for both channels has the left channel much higher than the right, and there is no recording of the right channel at all. I can provide JPEGS if needs be. I have a stereo mic lead from my mixer to the audio socket in the laptop, and have set up Audacity to record in Stereo.

In Simplecast when streaming audio the same problem prevails, only the left channel is recording which means that listeners can only hear sound through their left speaker. Again I can provide JPEGS.

It is nothing to do with cables; I have bought new cables and the same problem prevails. There is no problem with the mixer either as it is picking up both left and right channels. The cartridges on the turntables both pick up sound as well. It is just when you record - that is the problem.

I uninstalled the driver, Realtek HD, to see what would happen. The other soundcard on the computer (which is a no frills Microsoft one) has the same problem, but in Audacity the right hand bar is off the scale (JPEG available if needed) and clips when you start recording. In Simplecast the right hand bar is constantly at maximum (JPEG available if needed) compared to the left hand bar which is always a realistic representation, and as such no right channel is picked up either.

Short of either rebooting my hard drive (and having to spend hours backing up everything) or buying a new soundcard (the preferred option, but can I be sure it will solve the issues) what can I do?

I have no idea what is going on or what happened, it was as if someone clicked their fingers and the whole thing fell apart. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. maceman

maceman

Hello,
    One thing you could try is to check out your sound card connections. Maybe something is loose or there might be dirt..
    And also give a little more information about your hardware and OS, it makes trouble shooting a little easier :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918149

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice