1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recording Midi -- what card.

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by ian80, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ian80

ian80 Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I have a Yamaha P120 and I would like to record midi into Finale using it. At the moment, I only have onboard sound, so I need to get a sound card. However, I'm left a little confused by this. Do I need a certain kind of card? I'd like to buy it off of ebay. I read that Audigy card will not allow me to connect midi.

So basically, if you were out to upgrade your card, but wanted to do it inexpensively (and be able to connect midi), what would you search for.

Thanks

Also! What kind of connecting wires will I need? I have a midi wire that plugs into my keyboard, but has a five pin head at the other end to. Will this go right into the card, or will I need an adapter?

2. t bone

t bone

to connect to your computer via usb port you'll need a midi interface such as this
    this will let you use the integrated audio that you prob. have on your system now.

depending on how much you want to spend there are soundcards that you can hook up everything, including your kitchen sink, up to such as this one

you should do some research as to what will match your needs and how much you want to spend.

3. ian80

ian80 Thread Starter

4. t bone

t bone

according to the specs. you can connect that way.
    other that the 5 pin midi out what do you have on the back of the keyboard for outs?
    you might need an adapter.

did you get a manual with the keyboard?
    don't know much about garritan...seems funny you can't get some kind of sounds out of it.
    how are you trying to run it as a stand alone or a plugin?

5. jack78

jack78

Hi Ian,

Sounds like you are new to music on your PC.
    I produce my own tracks on my PC so i can help u out a bit. I'm not familiar with Finale but had a quick look at how it works.
    I'm not sure how deep you want to go, you have 2 options here:

1)
    I'm presuming u play your Yamaha keyboard as a stand alone instrument and u want to record some elements and sequence (record seperate parts then play them back) it in Finale.

If you are happy with the sounds you hear from your keyboard then get a USB MIDI adapter and a couple of MIDI leads, connect to both In and Out to your Yamaha. You will have to understand about MIDI channel selection to play back the differnt sounds from your keyboard, try this link

http://www.midi.com/questions/midi_basics.asp

This would be a very basic set up and the sound card is only acting as messenger for MIDI information (MIDI is not "sound" or "Audio" just info to tell the kebord what notes to play when) and Finale will be the Sequencer for the sounds on the keyboard.

That simple card u linked to will proably have MIDI sounds but they will be really crappy and you should stick to using your keyboard as the source of your sounds in this situation.

2)
    If you want to use the orchestra sounds in Finale, you are going to have to get a decent sound card. The Soundblaster Audigly will be fine (i'd proably reccomend it) but look out for the drivers the card supports, the Finale site describes:

"A soundcard (including Standard DirectSound, MME or ASIO drivers) is required for playing the Garritan sounds in Windows.)"

ASIO is industry standard driver and Soundblaster supports this.

If you are using this method to make music, your Yamaha keyboard will simply be a "MIDI controller", used only to input your musical info, the sounds will be produced on your computer as audio samples and it will sound alot better than your keyboard alone.

You will need a PC with a half decent spec to play around with audio samples, 256mb RAM for sure.

For more info check this website:

http://www.computermusic.co.uk/basics/basics.asp

It gives a good description of what you need but it aimed at more "dancey" music production. They may be some free software to play around with too.

Think about what u need and want to achieve, post or PM me any questions

Jack

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice