1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recording music files as data

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Party Rican!, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Party Rican!

Party Rican! Thread Starter

I've heard that cd's may be used to record music files as data, and this will enable the cd to contain a lot more music than normal . Does anyone know how I could do this? How much time or space would I then be able to record (as compared to the usual 80 minutes of music on the typical cd)? I have an Easy Media Creator program (but I'm willing to get whatever program allows me to do this), Windows XP and both, a cd and dvd burner.

2. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Create data disc in your disc burning program. Should get 2000+ songs on a DVD if in MP3 format. (Data discs do not play in CD players)

3. Party Rican!

I appreciate the reply, but a friend of mine has a home-made cd that contains about 10 albums (about 200 songs) on one 80-minute cd. He said a friend of his recorded it as data, thus enabling him to record more songs. Anyway, that person's away on vacation, so I can't get the info from him, and I would like to get started on recording these type of cd's immediately. I'll just hope someone else can reply with assistance.

4. Party Rican!

By the way, I physically had that cd (the one with about 200 songs on it) and confirmed it played on a regular cd player. So, somehow, it's possible.

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Some newer CD players may also play MP3 music files burned onto data CDs. Double check the specifications of that particular CD player.

With a suitable bit rate conversion setting, an MP3 music file can be 1/10 the data size of the of the same track on an audio CD. That could easily give you 200 or more tracks on one data CD. There are other compressed music file formats besides MP3.

6. briealeida

briealeida

I just bought an '07 Toyota FJ Cruiser (don't really mean to brag too much) anyway, I can play data CDs as well as regular ones with it! :)!

7. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Just don't be surprised if some of your commercial music CDs refuse to play in it. The copy protection on some commercial discs may prevent them from working correctly in higher end players that use data capable drives.

http://forums.techguy.org/multimedia/560139-cd-wont-play.html

8. briealeida

briealeida

I've yet to have an issue, hater.

Besides, I make backups of all my originals and put them away. If you can manage it, a data CD is more efficient. I can only have six CDs in my car at a time so why waste space?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593489

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice