Recording old audio tapes to burn onto CD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tiriman

Hi, A musician friend of mine wants to transfer some old audio tapes onto CD.

Could anybody inform me of the best way to go about this, and is there some suitable free/shareware you could recommend?

Thanks

Tiriman

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I downloaded and installed Audacity; tried to play some wav files to experiment with, but there was no sound output. I have checked all the sliders in 'Volume Control' and everything seems OK. Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

It's been a while since I've done this & I've never used Audacity to do it. Nice opening huh!(LOL). There is a dropdown menu. It should be in the middle of the editing bar. If you have it set to "What U Hear", does it record anything? You actually want it set on "Analog Mix(Line/CD/Aux). This should record anything coming in to your "Line-In" on your sound card. If it doesn't, go to, Control Panel>Sound, Speech, & Audio Devices>Adjust the System Volume>Advanced. There should be a "Line-In" volume control. make sure it's not Muted. If you don't see it than click on Options>Properties. Then make sure you have a check mark next to "Line-In" & it will show up than. Turn up the volume to about half way & see if that will work. If that doesn't work than set it back to "Whatever U Hear" & it should record whatever is coming out of your speakers. If that doesn't work than It's beyond my expertise. Sorry!!

I should add 1 more thing. I would save your files in MP3 format. Reason being is, if the volume levels aren't loud enough for you when you get done, you can use a nice little handy tool called mp3Gain which will adjust the volume to your liking. I don't believe there is a similar tool for other formats. It's free & can be found here.

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php

Tiriman

Hi, I tried to use Audacity to record audio using 'Line In' but could never get a clean recording - the tracks always ended up with 'skipping' on them. Tha Audacity forum said that it was probably down to a cpu problem and advised some ajustments which I tried, but nothing worked.

The solution I found , was to use another program calles 'Audiograbber' to record the tracks, and then use Audacity to edit them.

Martin

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
That's pretty odd, perhaps insufficient buffering. Thanks for the feedback, I'll remember that. :D

FWIW, I did this with Audacity without issue, perhaps the machine is faster than the one you're using.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online