1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recording Streaming Internet Music

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by buf, Jun 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buf

buf Thread Starter

http://www.sunny106fm.com/ It is a great station, I think, and I would like very much to be able to download and then burn the music they play to a CD. I will be most willing to accept free software to do this with if anyone knows of one. Otherwise, I will gladly look at any and all suggestions you make. And TIA.
    I have never attempted to do this, don't know if it can be done and I know nothing about any part of this. Oh yes, I listen to the station when I am surfing the net, reading the forums; etc.

2. Alaska

Alaska

I do not know of any freeware programs that allow you to record radio from the internet but the shareware program I use is 'Replay Radio'.

http://www.replay-radio.com/

What can I say about it? It is fantastic. I've been using it for about a year and a half now.
    The caveat is that you pretty much well can't do anything with your computer while it is recording.

There is a 'Demo' version but it only allows you to record about five minutes of audio.

3. buf

buf Thread Starter

Alaska:
    I downloaded and installed the demo version of Replay-Radio and it does look to be pretty easy.
    I then looked at www.highcriteria.com and their Total Recorder4.2 and initially it looks to be easier--price was not bad either @ $12. With their demo, I can record 5 minutes of streaming music however, there are a few kinks to work out but then that is true with any new/unknown software.
    Neither of these seem to allow for the downloaded music to be saved to a file or folder so it can later be burned to a CD. I can send the recorded music to my burner but why waste a full CD each time to burn 40 seconds; not to mention even 5 minutes. I would rather be able to use an entire blank CD for recording rather than an insignificant few seconds or minutes. Maybe I simply overlooked this feature in both of these applications. I'll take make my disclaimer now and say that I probably passed over the feature.
    BTW, I realize that the full application probably allows the saving of downloads to a file folder until the user can burn a full CD.

4. Alaska

Alaska

For Anyone out there with an interest in Replay Radio here's the deal

1. In 'Settings' is a place to designate where to put 'Temporary Files Folder' (this ought to be in the C: directory, Ex: C:\TEMP\Recorded Radio\) and a place to designate where to put 'Mp3 files', (Ex: C:\Radio Programs\).

2. While Replay Radio is actually recording a program, either automatically ('Quick Record' or 'Record Now') or through a user set up scheduled recording, it builds a WAV file in the 'Temporary Files Folder' as mentioned in #1.

3. In any place to designate for 'Replay Radio' to record it gives you a list of options on what you want to do with the finished recording, * Write to C.D., * Save as a WAV file, * Save as a MP3 file. When it has finished recording it will then do what was designated.

4. If you choose * Write to C.D., guess what? Anything that was recorded goes to the C.D. as long as it isn't over seventy-six minutes, or there abouts.

5. If you have smaller recordings and want to save them until you have accumulated enough to burn here is what you need to know and do.

6. Choose * Save as a Mp3 file (YOU choose the quality from the list). When Replay Radio has finished recording according to the time you designated, it will take that WAV file it created and automatically convert it to a Mp3 file (This may take a few minutes) and automatically place that Mp3 file in the folder that you designated for Mp3 files in #1. As a matter of fact it builds the Mp3 file in that folder.

7. A funny thing happens with Replay Radio, say you recorded something and you now have a Wav file in the temp folder and a MP3 file in another folder and you record something else, know what? Replay Radio will 'OVERWRITE' both files.

8. So what do you do if you want to save the Mp3 files? You create another folder, for example, in the folder where the Mp3 files are saved, lets call it 'My Recordings' and when Replay Radio has finished creating the Mp3 files you drag them to 'My Recordings' folder so that the next time Replay Radio creates a Mp3 file it will not 'OVERWRITE' the one you really want to save.

9. You let it 'OVERWRITE' the WAV file in the Temp folder because no harm is done and that one takes up a lot of space anyhow. I delete that one myself, every now and then.

10. When you have accumulated enough Mp3 files in your set aside folder for saving these files, use your C.D. burner software to burn yourself an audio C.D.

11. I never let Replay Radio burn a C.D. because on my computer I have to enable 'Sync Data Transfer' for my CD-RW drive in Device Manager for that option in Replay Radio to work and that is just too big of a hassle, and that setting conflicts with my C.D. burner software. I always use my Nero software to burn C.D.'s from audio saved by Replay Radio.

12. For scheduled recording by Replay Radio you need to put in the correct URL. You know what? You are on your own on learning how to find the correct URL in different media players, have fun.

Replay Radio is fully functional in its 'Demo' version and the only hinderance is that it will only allow five minutes of recording. To be able to record for longer periods of time you need to purchase/register it. It cost $29.95, and is well worth it.

Freeware is great if the programmer wants to give it away, but I will pay for quality if the product does what I need it to do.

5. buf

buf Thread Starter

Good description of what you know Replay Radio will do. Think I will have to re-think what I want to do about it or try yet another application. I do appreciate you taking your time to tell us about that which you are sold on and sharing your experiences. Guess my disclaimer was correctly used:p Figured such files/folders were available to use for storing saved music downloads. Regardless of what software I may choose to use, I strongly suspect that I would mostly use the app. to save the music to a file while I am listening to that music while I surf; accumulate music files and when enough is saved to fill a CD, then I'll burn it. I don't think I would be interested in scheduling to save music files.

6. buf

buf Thread Starter

Alaska, I have continued to investigate and was directed to a free application that is very easy to use. I realize you are happy with what you have but I feel I would be remiss if I didn't let you know about it. After all, you tried to help me! And I thank you.
    You can find it here: http://www.cowon.com/start.html I refer to it as JetAudio and the free version is 5.16 and add ons will cost you if you want them.
    I don't like it solely because it is free but simply because it is easy to use. Being free helps but often times paying for something can be the difference between success and failure.

7. demetri

demetri

it seems when i'm using IE i get a warning with my explorer. the warning states: explorer-this program has performered an illegal operation and will shut down. Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module RPCRT4.dll at 017f:7Fbbdbdl. i have cable connection if that matters. i even went to my control panel, then add/remove programs, then click onto IE and tried to use the tool there to repair IE but it didn't work and it stated it was unable repair because files are missing and i should reinstall. i tried that as well but i'm still having the same porblem..umm, can someone please help...thanks.

8. buf

buf Thread Starter

demetri:
    Happy Birthday and I hope you had, or will have, a great one!!:D
    Sorry you are having browser problems and hope that you will get help when you post this problem in the Web & Email forum.
    You will want to state the IE version you are using and the OS. Wish I could help you but you have already done what I would have suggested you do. Good luck.

9. demetri

demetri

wow......thanks for the birthday wishes.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/142691

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice