1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

recording video off display screen vs actual streaming bits

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by waitingtohear, Oct 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. waitingtohear

waitingtohear Thread Starter

I have a question that I just can't find an answer to online at all.

I am trying to find out if there are quality differences between recording a video that is playing on your monitor screen, using a screen recorder software, compared to when you view the same video but from the actual file directly to a video player or even a streaming video.

In other words, is capturing (recording) video off your monitor basically like making a copy of a copy? So the quality will be worse in some way? Or will it look exactly the same as what you see when you play your video file using a video player.

example: I play a HD video I made off my camera, and watch it on my computer via a video player software such as VLC. and I can enjoy it in it's full HD quality. Now, while it's playing I record it off the display screen. If I now view the screen capture version, is the quality the exact same as when watching the original HD video file?

There are plenty of sites that talk about how to record video off your monitor screen and how to also record video that is streaming. But not one site compares the two and how the quality differs and why.

or am I completely confused and it doesn't matter because both will be of same quality?

I just think recording off a display screen "may" look just as good"if" you have just the right video hardware and monitor to match that hardware, otherwise you would see a quality difference.

Please set me straight.......

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    If you are concerned, capture the stream. There are numerous options available. I use Replay Media Capture.

As to your specific question, it varies depending on your hardware (monitor) and playback. If you have a 1080P monitor (1920x1080) and you playback a 1090P stream Full Screen, then you "should" get original quality. However, you are capturing what is being displayed, so the player or other software could be altering the output. If you mixing and matching screen size and media resolutions, then your results will vary. Like playing a 2160P video on a 1080P monitor, you are going to get a 1080P capture, not 2160P.

3. waitingtohear

So the answer is: YES, but must have best video setup with matching monitor settings. I still find it strange you can record something off a monitor and it can retain full quality. It's like taking a video recorder into a movie theatre and recording it. The quality is not going to be the same as the actual film that's loaded on the projector. But maybe I'm just unsure since we are talking now about an all digital situation in today's world...

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    "Screen" capturing is just capturing the pixels being sent to the screen. So if you capturing a 1080P stream from a 1080P monitor, then you should be getting the actual quality (assuming the player isn't altering the quality and your hardware is fast enough to capture and not drop data). So yes, it is possible. There are simply better ways to get that data.

5. waitingtohear

I think you clarified it even more so. Is this correct: Overall, even if you have the best possible scenario of capturing the video off the monitor screen with a matching resolution rate, no drops etc. , and it looks as good as it can possibly ever get by this method, it's still best to capture video data in it's digital state, than capturing pixel resolution from a streaming (or pre-recorded) video file. I know that you want to also say there are easier ways to get that data, but I first want to make sure I know the complete story with comparing monitor recordings over raw data stream capturing, before I move on to the methods of how to capture that data at all. Am I finally getting it? Thanks for your quick replies! Your the only one that has explained this.

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    It should be the same yes, but it can be altered by other processes, not too mention that it captures everything visible on the screen (ie: window border, Start bar, popups, etc.). It's also more hardware intensive to screen capture.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234415

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice