1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

recording "what you hear"

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Nita, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nita

Nita Thread Starter

I have a Dell pc Dimension C521 running on windows XP.I am trying to record radio from the pc. I believe it's called streaming. I know that many people can record what is playing on the pc straight to audacity or free corder however I find that my recording is limited to line in or microphone.I did try connecting the microphone socket to the line in socket but the pc didn't like it at all. My sound card is a sigmatel codec. I have heard somwhere that Dell has disabled the "record what you hear" facility but that it might be possible to reestablish it by downloading an up to date driver. I have downloaded a zipped sigmatel driver but I now don't know how to go about installing it. I opened it but didn't find any exe. files. Can someone please take me thro' the procedure bearing in mind that I am not too savvy in this department.
    PS I haven't visited the site for a while and was a bit disconcerted to find the " find your threads" facility doesn't seem to be around or have I somehow missed it.

2. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

start menu-->control panel-->system-->hardware-->device manager.
    select your audio device
    mostly found in "sound, video and game controllers"

right click it and then click "update driver"

select option to install from a specific location

check option "don't search. I will choose"
    then next
    click "Have disk" button

click browse and then browse to where you unzipped the driver files.
    All the computer is looking for is a *.inf file regarding the sound card hardware, more than likely you will only be able to select 1 file from the folder you unzipped everything too.

select this and open

clicking next should install the drivers and once finished click finish.

Job done, updated drivers installed

3. stantley

stantley

In Control Panel go to Sound and Audio Devices > Advanced > Options > Properties, click on 'Recording', make sure the Wave Out Mix is checked (It might be called something a little different on your PC). Hit OK and put a check in the Select box.

Attached Files:

4. Nita

Nita Thread Starter

Thanks Neil, I got as far as browse folders and this is what I get when the zipped file is openI am attaching what I see and this is where I am stuck.
    Can you help?

Attached Files:

• sig.jpg
      sig.jpg
      File size:
      8.3 KB
      Views:
  5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Try this ... (It may depend on you sound software/hardware)

In Audacity ... Edit >> Preferences >> set to Microsoft sound mapper ..
    or Stereo mix if you have it.

Attached Files:

6. Nita

Nita Thread Starter

reply to Stantley I do not have a wave out option only line in microphone and rear microphone
    reply to Noyb I do not have the stereomix option in audacity and changing from Sigmatel to soundmapper doesn't make any difference !
    This is why I want to try and update the driver.

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/748038

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice