1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

recover a deleted partition?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by koetsu13, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. koetsu13

koetsu13 Thread Starter

Hi-

I accidentally started to install a new version of XP Home on an existing partition that had a good working XP home on it. I got to the point on the install where it highlighted the good partition and I hit "L" to erase it. At that point I stopped and tried a repair from the XP Home disk but no luck. Since it didn't overwrite it (probably just erased some pointers) is there any way to get back the good partition/OS that was on this disk?

Thanks

Koetsu13

2. Sponsor

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

This new version of windows xp home was it the same disk that windows was installed from originally?

Some system specs along with make and model of the computer would be great here if you could post them please?

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

Some have had good luck using Test Disk to recover/restore a partition . . it likely delends on how much more was done before you enterupted it.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

6. koetsu13

koetsu13 Thread Starter

HI-

I used the same (original XP home) disk to do the install (delete partition). The system is a Dell 4550 deskside with 1GB, 1.8GHZ, XP2 Home. I ran DTIdata, test disk and find and mount on two seperate systems- none of them could see the drive. Iattached the drive via a second IDE controller and then a USB connection- the software failed to see the drive in any combination.

Thanks

Koetsu13

7. net_newsy

net_newsy

I am not sure for recovery but also try...

Partition Saving
    -a DOS and Windows program that is used to save, restore and copy hard-drive, partitions, floppy disk and DOS or Windows devices.
    http://www.partition-saving.com/

...great list Elvandil!

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Take a look at these and see if one will help.

One other question on the windows xp install disk. Was it an original Dell or a Microsoft install disk?

9. koetsu13

koetsu13 Thread Starter

Hi-

There wasn't anything included with "take a look at these". Also, I tried partition saving- can't see the drive (on a USB connector- will try it on an IDE cble in a short while). And the disk was a microsoft XP home disk version 1a.

Thanks

Mark

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!