1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

recover corrupted excel vba code

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Stokak, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stokak

Stokak Thread Starter

May 19, 2007
    I worked on some vb code changes. then saved the file and received some strange comments from excel. when i try to open it now it just hangs and has the hour glass. tried shutting down. opening excel. got list of files it has 'recovered' but on clicking on them also just hangs with hour glass. tried online an excel recovery vendor and it can display the actual excel sheets, but not the vb code...any ideas ?
  2. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Mar 8, 2005
    Sorry I don't know any way to recover corrupted code.
  3. bomb #21

bomb #21

Jul 1, 2005
    Try opening it in OpenOffice (Calc) and then (version 2) Tools > Macros > Organize > Basic (&, after navigating in the Explorer-like "Macro from" pane) > Edit.

EDIT: also might be worth trying "Copying Modules Between Projects" at Chip's site, if you know the module names.
  4. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Jul 25, 2004
    I recommend your best bet being to use commercial grade software for this. Or start with your latest backup copy and redo some of your work.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/614286