1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recover Corrupted Registry Without Boot Disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Miao, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Miao

Miao Thread Starter

I recently tried to restart my computer and was given an error message saying that the \windows\system32\config\system was corrupt or missing, keeping me from booting up my computer. After some research I found out that to fix it you need to run the Recovery Console from the original boot disk, but I DO NOT HAVE THIS DISK!

This is an old computer (from 2002) that is running on Windows XP Home Edition, and the disk was lost many years ago, but I need to get it running again. I understand that there are some ISO images that I can use to create a new backup disk, but I cannot find any and many places say to not trust them. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me get this thing running again? I need to access the computer ASAP!

2. Sponsor

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

4. Miao

Miao Thread Starter

Thank you! I am downloading it now.

I also found a Windows XP Emergency Boot Cd. Would that work as well? Or should I stick with UBCD?

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Your Windows XP Emergency Boot Cd could work too. Try it first if you want.

6. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

The Ultimte Boot CD has an option to run a "System Restore". That is, it will restore the Registry Files backed up in the Restore folder, given of course that you had Restore active in the first place.

7. Miao

Miao Thread Starter

Well its one that I found online. I burned it to a disk, but when I try to boot from it it acts as if there is no disk. So Im guessing it didnt work.

I downloaded UBCD, but when I try to open it it says that its corrupted. Im going to try and download it from a different source and hopefully it works.

8. Miao

Miao Thread Starter

It says that the UBCD still needs me to have my original XP disk. Apparently Im supposed to copy it to my harddrive. I dont have this disk so I cannot use it. So how am I supposed to use the UBCD?

9. Miao

Miao Thread Starter

I found a Windows XP Reinstallation Disk. Is this the disk that I need to reboot?

10. Miao

Miao Thread Starter

I found a Windows XP Reinstallation Disk. Is this the disk that I need to reboot with?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!