Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recover Crashed Hard Drive Data???

912 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  MustBNuts 
#1 ·
Hi all,
Where/What software is the best for recovering data from a crashed hard drive. The drive that crashed was running Win98, but I've got WinXP machines that I can slap that drive into. I don't know much more than that because I have not had a chance to get my hands on the crashed drive, but the data is super important.

Thanks In Advance!!

Jason

#2 ·
Well it depends on what went wrong with it. IF the drive is totally dead - ie does not spin up then there is no software to recover the data - you would need to replace the circuit board or electronics in the drive. If the heads are continually crashing then the same thing goes. If it just has bad sectors or Windows is messed up then you may be able to just copy the data off or use Spinrite.

There are companies that recover data from dead hard drives but they can charge from several hundred to several thousand for recover. This is where backing up your data comes in - it avoids these problems.

#3 ·
and if the hd isn't totallly dead (as outlined by Triple6) then just pop it into an XP machine as a slave drive and you don't need any other software. You should be able to copy it over to another drive and/or burn it down to CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.