Recover Data from bad Hard Drive?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BTMS_RIO

The hard drive is made by a company called "BSE Data Storage" 40 gigabyte IDE. When i try to boot to it, it says S.M.A.R.T Command Failed.

Not sure on jumper settings but when i boot to slave (guessing with jumpers although pretty sure it is correct), windows detects the drive in the device manager but no where else.

I want to extract a few imporant files off the hard drive.

The hard drive makes no ticking or scratching noises, other than the normal noise it should make.

This occured when i was trying to install a printer driver, other than that computer ran fine.

Im running Win XP on the computer and the bad hard drive.

Please Help.

Thanks,
Rio

Couple of suggestions:
1. Disable S.M.A.R.T feature in BIOS ( this was u "fool" windoze and it might let you access it )
2. I assume that you can't "see" the drive in windows explorer. Have you tried computer management feature ( in administrative tools) and if you are able to access it that way?
3. Still in computer management , might wanna try a error correction ( aka scandisk ) and see if windows will mark the "bad" sectors but let you access it.
4. Try hooking up the drive as an "external" drive ( via USB ). Again windows might let u access it
5. If all the above fail, well there are always Data Recovery companies ( not cheap at all, but if the files are important well.. )
HTH

BTMS_RIO

I used a disk recovery tool spinrite and windows now detects it, but says it must be formatted. It says the disk is 100% free though. Does this mean the data is lost forever?

Not exactly. Data is still there, windoze just doesn't "see it". Basically you'll need some sort of data retrival/recovery program.
There are quite a few unfortunatelly none of them free ( as far as i know ). So i guess it boils down how much you can afford ( or if the data is important ).
To get u started with data retrival/recovery progams check out this links
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=data+recovery+programs&btnG=Google+Search
HTH

Wow...that TestDisk program looks like a winner...hope I never need it, but will investigate it just the same!

Thanks for the Link!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online