1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recover Data From Crashed HardDrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by swalsip, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. swalsip

swalsip Thread Starter

Hey all ... I need to recover data from a crashed HD. What can I try to get it off. I noticed that it wasn't mounting if I would leave windows and log back in later. I was [planning on moving the data but of course now XP doesn't see it at all ... ran a CHKDSK on it during boot up and then it showed. But when I went to access the data it wouldn't let me. Rebooted and now it doesn't show up.

Suggestons and guidance needed!

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Is it an internal or an external drive?

3. swalsip

swalsip Thread Starter

it is an internal, running XP

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

It isn't clear; but, I assume the machine in which the trouble drive is, is the primary drive and you are communicating with us via another computer.

I suggest you determine the brand of the hard disk and download the drive manufacturer's testing utility. There will be two, one that runs in the Windows environment and another that runs from a bootable CD.

I recommend you run the extended test.

You could use the Windows version only if you connect that drive as a secondary in another system.

5. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I'm going to bed now so you probably won't hear from me again for a few hours.

6. swalsip

swalsip Thread Starter

I was just on the site not finding any utilities. It is the secondary Drive. I actually installed as a data drive because I have had 2 other HDs crash on me and theywere the only one's installedin the machine at the time. This drive has all of my data on it, photo's, music, documents and video.

The HD is Western Digital. When I boot the machine I noticed it taking longer to boot and then realized that it was the secodary HD that it was trying mount and it wasn't working. Once the machine finally started working I can hear it whinning but not working. It did start a little bit ago but only after Windows ran a check disk and then it said it made minor repairs to a about a dozen sectorsand then ran a CHKDSK. When I came back it was listed and when I opened up the folder it showed all of the folder files, I was going to begin to move the files off but when I selected a folder it couldn't open it. I tried numerous times and different folders but the same. More error messages. I rebotted and now it is not seeing it again. I now have disconnected the power to it so it doesn't hold up the boot process.

Any suggestions? What other information would you need?

7. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

You should be looking for something like support and/or downloads.

8. swalsip

swalsip Thread Starter

all that is offered is several companies that do data recovery.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Please don't waste your time with hard drive utilities, you know the drive is bad already.
    First thought is to download and make a boot cd for Linux (Puppy Linux is the easiest and smallest to use), plug in a usb external drive or flash drive and copy and paste whatever you want.
    If you can't see it at all placing the drive in a Ziplok bag in a freezer for 3-4 hours and then immediately attaching to another pc as slave for ide or secondary drive if sata drive and then if you see it copy quickly as time will run out, and that works about 50% of the time.
    http://www.puppylinux.org/wikka/DownloadLatest
    Downloads to an iso file and then use Nero or Roxio to make bootable cd...if you don't have those this will work free:
    http://burncdcc.en.softonic.com/

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/928819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice