1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recover data from deleted partition? URGENT

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Shay81, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shay81

Shay81 Thread Starter

I deleted a partion using the windows 7 installer disk. Unfortunately I was a bit click happy and deleted my secondary drive (one partition if you call it that, as it took up the whole disk). This is my data drive. I keep everything there including a lot of very large, multimedia files that I cannot live without. After picking my heart back up out of my shoe I started asking for help and downloading as many free tools as I can. None of them have worked satisfactorily. Find and Mount looked extremely promising, saying it would find a mark on the HDD where a partition had been made previously and then allowing me to mount a read only version, then copying all the files as though the partition had never been damaged, if I wanted. Funnily enough not only did it fail to find a visable or lost partition on this drive, it even failed to find working partitions on any other drive. Pfft.I've tried Paragon Partition Manager. It told me my drive had errors and to run chkdsk. I did this but it didn't help. The programme had the same errors when I tested it on another drive. Another pfft.I tried EASEUS Partition Manager. It found the files... but it copied all 253 gb of them as 'raw' files or something like that. This means they were completely out of order, no folders and renamed 'file001.jpg' etc. This is useless for me as a lot of my files are .RARs that need to be in a sequence to option or similar issues and also with over 25000 files I cannot be arsed opening one by one to find out what each is. I'm not a PC!I look at TestDisk but I believe it will do the same as the EASEUS PM. Rename and reformat my files. No good.Strangely I tried EASEUS Partition Recovery (PM) on another disk that I have recently deliberately formatted. It didn't find 'raw' files but in fact found complete, properly ordered folders and files. The only problem is that all the 'good' ones that I really want (which are copies of what's on the drive I want to recover) are 'lost' files. I presume this means they're stuffed? I can't understand how this stupid programme (or stupid me) can work better on a completely formatted drive than it does on a drive that has merely had the data for it's partition references removed? I didn't format it. The data should be there if a programme can somehow recreate the partition or otherwise get it back. Ideas?

2. Shay81

Shay81 Thread Starter

*bashes head against desk irrepairably staining LCD monitor with blood and brain*. "MUST BACK UP, MUST NOT DELETE BACK UP!!!"

3. Shay81

Shay81 Thread Starter

Mods, can go ahead and close this if you like. I tried about 15 free programmes but my issues were too complex to fix with them. Then purchased R-Studio, supposedly has a more advanced recovery technique. Someone said it reads file sigs. It found EVERYTHING complete! Even rubbish I deleted 6 months ago. R STUDIO IS GOD. I am happy :-D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/904376

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice