1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recover data from External hard disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crazy-trapez, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crazy-trapez

crazy-trapez Thread Starter

Hello!

I have recently bought a 1 TB Seagate external hard disk. It worked very good.
    Some days ago I had to format my computer and reinstall windows, so I saved my important data on the external hard disk.
    Accidentally, I did the format while the hard disk was connected to the computer.
    I tried to connect the hard disk to my other computer, a massage popped up saying "Seagate storage device was successfully installed and ready to be used" , but I couldn't find it in "My Computer".
    Then I went to My Computer-Manage-Disk Management and there I saw the hard disk, but it was Unallocated.
    I tried to activate it, and then I saw it on My Computer. However, when I double clicked on it, A massage saying "This drive is not formatted, would you like to format it now?" popped up. I said NO and then tried some file recovery programs, but with no success.
    The only program that worked was "VirtualLab" It found the files, all of them, but I couldnÂ’t save them because I had to buy the program.

I Tried the "Recuva" software, but when I tried to scan the hard disk, Recuva said "Unable to read boot sector".

Please, I really need to recover my files from there, There are some Medical Documents there for my sisters surgery.
    Help me up please!!!

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

$40 is actually a very good price if the program can see and promises to recover all the files you need. Free software is free software; sometimes it works fine and sometimes you get what you pay for, especially with data recovery. The ones I would have suggested cost significantly more (GetDataBack and Easeus Recovery Wizard).

3. LaptopNomad

LaptopNomad

I have good experiences with Partition recovery - it searches for the remains of partitions and can scan for files on the partition.

When found it allows you to copy it to a different disk.

It's not free but it worked for me.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/869989

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice