1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

recover data from formatted external hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ymi7, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ymi7

ymi7 Thread Starter

hello,

I need to recover from a formatted external hard drive - buffalo 160gb mini-station Turbo USB, FAT32. The formatted external hard drive has been partitioned into 2.

Is still possible to recover back the files?

On related problem - what is the best software to repair corrupted jpeg? using ulead photo explorer 7se, i managed to view the jpeg with full pixels but when I open the file, the picture displayed is only half and the other half is blank gray.

I have plenty of corrupted mov - is there any mov repairer out there?

Thank you thank you for your help and I really hope someone can kindly attend to my question this time.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. ymi7

ymi7 Thread Starter

Hello,

Thank you for replying to my thread.

The drive was formatted to FAT32, using the software that comes with the hard drive - DISK FORMATTER

It took about an hour and half to reformat + partition

I am using recover my files and have tried using TEST DISK, but get quite nervous with the DOS interface and didnt proceed ahead with the scanning.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Testdisk only deals with the partition table. If it succeeds, the drive will appear as a normal drive and your files can be accessed. If it fails, the files are still there and no different from when you started. So there is nothing to be lost by trying it. Read the directions on the site and use your common sense.

The very long format indicates that it may well have been a full format, which may mean that all the files on the drive are gone. But it still wouldn't hurt to look for them.

5. ymi7

ymi7 Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies.

Kinda loose hope already.:(

6. henin32

henin32 Banned

You can try one more good data recovery software Stellar Phoenix
    http://www.stellarinfo.com/
    Stellar provides data recovery solution for all operating system like Windows,Unix,Linux,Mac,Novell and many more.There software demo version is free through which you can access their software recovery capability.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/745754

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice