1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recover data from my corrupted internal hard disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by saddy, Aug 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. saddy

saddy Thread Starter

My DELL Inspiron N5010 15R, Harddisk WDC WD5000BEVT-75A0RT0 is not starting up. While diagnostic test performed by pressing F12 at startup I am getting an Error Code 2000-0146 Hard drive-DST Short test Fail.
    What I am really worried about is losing my data as I did not take any back up of it. What should I do? In case I have to replace my harddisk is there any way to recover my data before replacing my harddisk.

2. Sponsor

3. valis

valis Moderator

Welcome to TSG. :)

Hopefully the lesson was learned; data that isn't backed up is data you don't want. What you can do to fix this is get an enclosure (they make them for both laptop and desktop harddrives, and in several cases, one that will accommodate both). by using the enclosure you can plug it into a working pc and get your data off.

4. saddy

saddy Thread Starter

I dont have much idea about the case i should use. I have mentioned details about my hard disk.Can you please recommend me the case i should get?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You should be worried about losing your data, hard drives fail and people lose their data all the time, in many cases with no chance of any data recovery. You should have already ordered a new drive to replace this one, you can also order a USB to SATA adapter to connect the old drive to the laptop and try to clone the old drive to the new drive, it may work and allow you too boot the system on the new drive like nothing never ever happened or maybe just access the drive long enough to copy off any important data off it.

Here's one such adapter: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

Or a external case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817392032

6. saddy

saddy Thread Starter

thanks a lot. Hoping that I can get my hard disk fixed or at least recover my data. :)

7. valis

valis Moderator

should be able to recover the data........as for fixing the hard drive, that generally doesn't happen. When they go, they do so in a permanent fashion.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1066931

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice