Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recover deleted files WinXP

936 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  DudleyDoRite 
#1 ·
I'm running windowsXP professional, I've deleted a folder from documents and settings/unknown user.

my logitech webcam had saved all its data files in there. Is there any way to recover the files. The recycle bin has been emptied already before I realized what I lost.

I've tried a utility called "drive rescue" , It found some of the files but not many and the jpg files that it recovered are not recognized as pictures, just get binary data. The folder was over 3.5 gigs, I know, I know, I'm a bonehead for not being more careful. I should never drink and pute.

Does anyone know of any better utility that can go into the free space and recover everything? I remember using Norton Utility when it was a DOS utility years ago. I hated NU 3.0 for windows.

#2 ·
DudleyDoRite
There are many programs out there that profess to recover such files and may do the job, however most if not all are costly.
Here is a list of many of them. Some allow you do download and try in a view mode to see if the files are recoverable before you buy. I am also moving this thread to WinXP with a subject change so others may spot the problem and maybe have a better suggestion.
Here is the listing I mentioned.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&q=recover+deleted+files+WinXP

Dave

#3 ·
Dudley, How long ago did you do this? If I had deleted these files
then I would call on "Goback" to revert my hardrive to a restore point before I deleted these files, I can goback 25 days. [Start of System Boot 5/12/2002 1:43:08PM 25 days ago]
If your running XP Pro then use your "System Restore" to do the same thing. Have a good day.

#4 ·
Dave

I realized the mistake after three days, I tried that system restore, and it restored the entire directory structure that was deleted, but none of the files were restored, just the directories. Thanks for the suggestion.
The drive was 21/30 gigs at the time, and 7 gigs were deleted that day. It now has 14/30 gigs. I would think that with so much free space, chances are good that the deleted files would not be overwritten?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.