1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recover deleted files WinXP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DudleyDoRite, Jun 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DudleyDoRite

DudleyDoRite Thread Starter

I'm running windowsXP professional, I've deleted a folder from documents and settings/unknown user.

my logitech webcam had saved all its data files in there. Is there any way to recover the files. The recycle bin has been emptied already before I realized what I lost.

I've tried a utility called "drive rescue" , It found some of the files but not many and the jpg files that it recovered are not recognized as pictures, just get binary data. The folder was over 3.5 gigs, I know, I know, I'm a bonehead for not being more careful. I should never drink and pute.

Does anyone know of any better utility that can go into the free space and recover everything? I remember using Norton Utility when it was a DOS utility years ago. I hated NU 3.0 for windows.

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

DudleyDoRite
    There are many programs out there that profess to recover such files and may do the job, however most if not all are costly.
    Here is a list of many of them. Some allow you do download and try in a view mode to see if the files are recoverable before you buy. I am also moving this thread to WinXP with a subject change so others may spot the problem and maybe have a better suggestion.
    Here is the listing I mentioned.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&q=recover+deleted+files+WinXP

Dave

3. Dr Dave

Dr Dave

Dudley, How long ago did you do this? If I had deleted these files
    then I would call on "Goback" to revert my hardrive to a restore point before I deleted these files, I can goback 25 days. [Start of System Boot 5/12/2002 1:43:08PM 25 days ago]
    If your running XP Pro then use your "System Restore" to do the same thing. Have a good day.

4. DudleyDoRite

DudleyDoRite Thread Starter

Dave

I realized the mistake after three days, I tried that system restore, and it restored the entire directory structure that was deleted, but none of the files were restored, just the directories. Thanks for the suggestion.
    The drive was 21/30 gigs at the time, and 7 gigs were deleted that day. It now has 14/30 gigs. I would think that with so much free space, chances are good that the deleted files would not be overwritten?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/82384

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice