Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

recover deleted files

7K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  lotuseclat79 
#1 ·
Hi

I've erased some text and xml files from my computer about a week back, that I really need now. Is there a way to recover them?

Thanks
Dan

#2 ·
There are several programs that I know of. One of which is in Norton Systemworks called Unerase, and another I use to recover deleted files is in a program called System Mechanic. Both work very well. If you don't have either of these, do a Goggle search. There are a host of free programs which will probably work for you. You can also try to use system restore, but I haven't had much luck with that.

#3 ·
Would these be able to bring back xml files too? For some reason my xml files supposedly come back but they dont load. Gives an error instead of loading. Im trying to bring back my msn log back, is it possible that there are 2 files, one for data one for presentation, and one of them is getting lost somewhere or smth?

#4 ·
Scroll down the list on this page until you get to 'Restoration';http://www.gmdsoft.de/mitsch/programs.htm

I have a copy of this program because it was recommended in a magazine but I haven't had to use it yet so I don't know how good it is (or isn't).

I'm no expert but, if you have been using the computer for a week since the deletion, I think your prospects of success are unlikely to be good as the files could have been overwritten by now.

#6 ·
If the system has had much use over the week since the erasures, there is a low probability of successful recovery with any of the programs cited. For partial recoveries, the best bet is the Norton Diskedit in older Norton Utilities in older System Works versions.

#7 ·
I've downloaded a number of programs, recommended here and by other people. So far none of them have worked. They've all located the missing xml file (my msn chat log), but when I undelete them I get this strange message:

The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An invalid character was found in text content. Error processing resource 'file:///A:/surj_roops3877769168.xml'.

Is there anything I should do about this message? Or if I see this message after using a couple of the programs, would that mean none of them programs out there can recover it properly, or are some more effective than others?

Thanks
Dan

#8 ·
bigdan said:
I've downloaded a number of programs, recommended here and by other people. So far none of them have worked. They've all located the missing xml file (my msn chat log), but when I undelete them I get this strange message:

The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An invalid character was found in text content. Error processing resource 'file:///A:/surj_roops3877769168.xml'.

Is there anything I should do about this message? Or if I see this message after using a couple of the programs, would that mean none of them programs out there can recover it properly, or are some more effective than others?

Thanks
Dan
While it is true that none of the utilities were able to recover - intact - your file, the only problem you appear to have with it is it won't display until you discover the 'invalid character' and delete it - or, find an XML repair tool to do so.

I would save the recovered file, and try to find an XML repair tool, and also inspect other XML files (raw text) to do a comparison to see if you can spot the invalid character - it should stand out fairly obviously much like an unprintable character.

-- Tom

P.S. I am not an expert in XML, but I have looked at the contents of such files with an editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.