Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recover deleted files?

8K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  andrew786 
#1 ·
My non-technical brother bought an external hard drive then "synched" that drive to a folder on his internal hard drive that held (of course) all of the pictures of the kids. He claims he then deleted the folder from his internal hard drive and everything was gone from his external hard drive. Nothing in the recycle bin either.

I've never used an external hard drive, so I don't know if any of what he's saying even makes sense, but the bottom line is that he would like to get out of the doghouse and get the pictures back. Does anyone know if this is possible?

I've heard that no file is ever really erased from your hard drive its really just a matter of how much you want to pay to get it back.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

#3 ·
Yes, it is possible however the sooner you do the recovery the more chance you have of getting the pics back. There are many data recovery apps available; I use O&O disk recovery. I just saw a free one from the same people who make CCleaner. Here is the link

#4 ·
crjdriver, I tried using the link you provided and got some back but not all

leec65 I used the link you provided but got a message saying that I had to have administrative rights. My PC is my home standalone machine running Vista. I didn't set up any user password, I'm not sure why I wouldn't have administrator rights, but I am new to Vista.

Any ideas on how I could restore the remaining files?

#7 ·
It may or may not. With disk recovery, the more the os is allowed to write to the area in question [where your files were located] the less your chances of recovery.

Some local shops will do data recovery. If the info is really really important, you might want to take the drive in and have an estimate as to the cost.

BTW I would NOT recommend taking the drive to best buy, compusa, etc for data recovery.

#9 ·
Hi, I have a related problem. I have a 500g Lacie external hard drive which I plugged into the usb port on my pc. I copied a few gig of files to it but when I clicked to safely remove it, I continually got the message that I couldn't remove it yet, despite the fact that I'd closed everything, so I left it plugged in and rebooted the pc. I then got distracted and next time I looked at my pc it was going through a dos screen file checking process. I was then able to disconnect the external drive, however when I plugged it in later in the day the external drive shows as being empty!

I downloaded and ran the program mentioned above (http://www.freewareweb.com/cgi-bin/archive.cgi?ID=1672) and it found the system volume information but nothing else. Can anyone advise me what to do now?

Many thanks in advance

#10 ·
Few days back I have accidentally deleted my data. I have even deleted it from the recycle bin. It's my important file .I have to recover it any how. I have used Stellar Phoenix data recovery software to recover my files. This software recovers my data within few minutes. This software is very easy to use. This software supports all the operating system like windows (windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, 2003, XP), Macintosh, Novell, Linux operating system and FAT, NTFS, NTFS5, HFS, HFS+, NWFS, EXT2, EXT3 and Reiser FS file system. You can check this software capability by downloading free demo from
http://www.stellarinfo.com/download.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.