1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recover deleted files?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matty1stop, Feb 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matty1stop

matty1stop Thread Starter

My non-technical brother bought an external hard drive then "synched" that drive to a folder on his internal hard drive that held (of course) all of the pictures of the kids. He claims he then deleted the folder from his internal hard drive and everything was gone from his external hard drive. Nothing in the recycle bin either.

I've never used an external hard drive, so I don't know if any of what he's saying even makes sense, but the bottom line is that he would like to get out of the doghouse and get the pictures back. Does anyone know if this is possible?

I've heard that no file is ever really erased from your hard drive its really just a matter of how much you want to pay to get it back.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

2. Leec65

Leec65

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, it is possible however the sooner you do the recovery the more chance you have of getting the pics back. There are many data recovery apps available; I use O&O disk recovery. I just saw a free one from the same people who make CCleaner. Here is the link

4. matty1stop

crjdriver, I tried using the link you provided and got some back but not all

leec65 I used the link you provided but got a message saying that I had to have administrative rights. My PC is my home standalone machine running Vista. I didn't set up any user password, I'm not sure why I wouldn't have administrator rights, but I am new to Vista.

Any ideas on how I could restore the remaining files?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

For the program in question, just right click and choose to run as admin.

BTW you may or may not recover any more files. The free file recovery apps can be somewhat limited in their ability to recover files.

6. matty1stop

Thanks again for the advice.

Do you think the software you pay for would be able to restore the ones I couldn't get back? When I ran Recvua is listed that many of the files I couldn't get back were overwritten by other files.

Thanks for the help,

Matt

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It may or may not. With disk recovery, the more the os is allowed to write to the area in question [where your files were located] the less your chances of recovery.

Some local shops will do data recovery. If the info is really really important, you might want to take the drive in and have an estimate as to the cost.

BTW I would NOT recommend taking the drive to best buy, compusa, etc for data recovery.

8. matty1stop

Thanks,

I also tried PC Inspector, but had trouble figuring out how to get it to work. I will look at it again tonight.

Yeah, I'd give it to the kid at the McDonald's drive thru before I would hand it over to the hacks at Best Buy or Compusa.

9. paltallo

paltallo

Hi, I have a related problem. I have a 500g Lacie external hard drive which I plugged into the usb port on my pc. I copied a few gig of files to it but when I clicked to safely remove it, I continually got the message that I couldn't remove it yet, despite the fact that I'd closed everything, so I left it plugged in and rebooted the pc. I then got distracted and next time I looked at my pc it was going through a dos screen file checking process. I was then able to disconnect the external drive, however when I plugged it in later in the day the external drive shows as being empty!

I downloaded and ran the program mentioned above (http://www.freewareweb.com/cgi-bin/archive.cgi?ID=1672) and it found the system volume information but nothing else. Can anyone advise me what to do now?

Many thanks in advance

10. andrew786

andrew786

Few days back I have accidentally deleted my data. I have even deleted it from the recycle bin. It’s my important file .I have to recover it any how. I have used Stellar Phoenix data recovery software to recover my files. This software recovers my data within few minutes. This software is very easy to use. This software supports all the operating system like windows (windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, 2003, XP), Macintosh, Novell, Linux operating system and FAT, NTFS, NTFS5, HFS, HFS+, NWFS, EXT2, EXT3 and Reiser FS file system. You can check this software capability by downloading free demo from
    http://www.stellarinfo.com/download.htm

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/545231

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice