1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recover deleted IE history

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by brini145, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brini145

brini145 Thread Starter

Anyone,

I am working on a huge final report for school and my bf deleted IE history that I needed for my research and bibliography. Is there any way to recover it? I already tried c:\\doumentsandsetting\username\localsettings\history
    but it didn't work some message box came up that didn't make sense to me, bc when it comes to comp my skills are basic. Next time I will be smart and write stuff down, but please help!! Thank you!!!

2. TOGG

TOGG

Some details of past activity are stored in things called 'index.dat' files which aren't removed by the 'normal' IE History clearance (although they can be deleted by other cleaner tools).

Have a look at this site; http://www.acesoft.net/delete_index.dat_files.htm and, if you want to try and see if any index.dat files remain, you could download the free viewer mentioned in very small print at the foot of the page (don't select the software this site is advertising, unless you actually want it!). Other free viewers are available, I occasionally use one called Super Winspy.

It might be necessary to run the viewer separately in each account on the computer.

3. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi brini145,
    Once you have this sorted, why not have a look at WebNotes for your future research. It's a free prog (there's a pay version too) but it might help one day
    http://www.webnotes.net/

I've no connection with WebNotes, just suggesting it.

Richard

4. brini145

brini145 Thread Starter

Thank you very much, I will definately try it. I appreciate all the help. Will let you know if it works. And I will be using webnotes! ;)

5. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

This won't help for now but next time...
    If a link is important, create a folder in Favorites (which in this case might
    be called Final Report) and then put all the related links in that folder.

6. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

You're Welcome!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/831660

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice