1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

recover deleted partition please HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rs2muell, Jan 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rs2muell

rs2muell Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

I have two HDs, 80 Gig primary and 120 gig secondary. I had win xp installed and running off the 80 gig and I backed up all my files onto the 120 gig. I then decided to format the 80 gig drive

I used a win 98 boot disk and formatted the 80 gig hd. then I started the win xp cd and it asked which partition I would like to choose. I chose the partitioned 120 gig drive not realizing what I had done. I confirmed the partition removal and then realized what I did. So I start flipping out and I restart my comp

I looked for my files and 120 gig drive but it was gone. I'm really going crazy. So I researched a little and I have two utilities on disk (mbrwork and testdisk) I started to run mbrwork and it has been searching for recoverable partitions for the past 2 hours. I don't know what to do and I really need the files on the 120 gig HD. I didn't install windows and I haven't done anything other than run the utility. Can someone please help me. I don't know what I'll do if I can't get my files back.

Thanks
    -Rob

2. zephyr

zephyr

Rob, There are utilities that can rebuild a File Allocation Table. I have never used one but I understand that they work by installing the hosed drive as a slave to another bootable drive and running the software from the boot drive to fix the slave.

I can't tell you any names but a Google search should get you plenty of hits.

Good luck. There is hope.

>>I checked with one of my favorite software producers, Acronis, and found this. If it works like the other software I use from them, it'll be all you need.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/197240

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice