1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recover Deleted Partition (Windows 8)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DrDing, Jul 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DrDing

DrDing Thread Starter

While trying to reinstall Windows 8 on a home PC we pulled the wrong hard drive and did a clean install on a drive that was being used to store a ton of files (videos, images, documents, etc) rather then a smaller drive that should have had the OS installed on it.

The original partition (on the storage drive) was deleted and then had 8 clean installed on it.

Is there any way to recover that deleted partition to get the files back?

Right now we're running a SuperScan with [email protected] Partition Recovery on the drive in question and it looks like it's going to take about 5 hours to complete. What's worrying us at the moment is the software is showing the deleted partition, and has folders from it in it, but there are no files. For example no videos or images yet.

I'm wondering if that just means the scan needs to complete or what. I don't know if anyone here has used [email protected] or has a better recommendation for partition recovery (if it's possible at this point) but the partition we're hoping to recover is listed as "Good".

Thanks in advance for any and all advice, if you need any more information, just let me know.

2. Sponsor

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are doing about all you can do at this point. I assume you have pulled the drive and installed it on a working system OR just installed win8 to the correct drive. If this drive has a LOT of info, remember you must recover to a different drive than the one you are scanning.

If your data recovery software does not work, then give this one a try. It does very well with recovering data and it is free;
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

4. DrDing

DrDing Thread Starter

Hi there,

Yeah we ended up working with and booting up the OS on the other drive (the one it should have been on).

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm checking out the Wiki for TestDisk. I noticed though that Windows 8 isn't listed under the runable OS list. Will it work for 8?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Give it a try; most programs work ok on win8. If it does not work, install it in compatibility mode for xp, 7, etc.

BTW I have done this myself [secure erasing the wrong drive] This is why we recommend at least two copies of important data on separate media. With a second backup, it is a simple matter to copy/restore the data files.

6. DrDing

DrDing Thread Starter

Totally, two copies makes sense. We decided to go with a file recovery program rather then restoring the entire partition. Thanks for your all your help and suggestions though crjdriver!

On the file recovery note, does anyone know how to make a custom file signature?

Right now we're looking for .mts files (high definition video files made with a handheld). There's a program also offered by [email protected] where you can define custom file signatures in case there's an extension you're looking for isn't listed on the recognized file types.

I've never created a file signature and have no idea how it works or what to do. It says it's looking for a header and footer programmed with RegExp.

Can anyone walk me through creating one for .mts files?
    Here's a small tutorial from [email protected] but it's completely confusing to me: http://www.active-undelete.com/custom_file_signatures.htm

Or, if there's a recommendation for a .mts file recovery program or one that recognizes .mts files, that would be great too.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1103032