Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recover deleted user account and files - XP Pro

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  terabytecomputer 
#1 ·
I suspected that my Admin user account was not properly functioning. I created another admin user account, deleted my original admin user account and did not save the files ( I thought the files related to the actual user profile only).Disaster!All my files, emails,years of work..gone.How do I begin to recover all my work.

#2 ·
Deleted files can be recovered with file recovery software. I use PC Inspector File Recovery. There are others.

First off, when files are deleted, they're not really deleted. The pointer to the file location is deleted. All the data remains, it's just that the computer doesn't know where to find them anymore without file recovery software. If you keep using the computer that has the deleted files, the space the files are using could potentially get overwritten by other files, thereby making recovery less possible. Windows constantly writes temporary data to the disk. Any of this data could overwrite your files.

I suggest you turn off that computer, take the hard drive out, and put it in another computer as a slave drive to run the file recovery program.

Once the drive is in another computer, use a file recovery program (search google for 'file recovery' or 'undelete files', etc.) to scan the slave drive for deleted files. You should be able to get most, if not all, of your files back.

If that's out of your experience level, find a good computer technician in your area to do the recovery. Don't go to your local multimedia store to find one, go to an independent computer store. They usually know what they're doing.

The important thing is to stop using the computer until your files are recovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.