1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recover deleted videos

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Alex10, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex10

Alex10 Thread Starter

Let me start by saying I am NOT a computer geek, I had old videos for my late Father and my family saved at a portable hard drive and I was not aware it was deleted by mistake when my little one was playing on the computer; unfortunately I saved other files on the same hard drive.

I downloaded Recuva software to recover deleted videos and was able to recover some but when I tried to open them with window media player, it gave me an error message that says: Windows Media Player can not play the file. The Player mightnot support the file type or might not support the codec that was used tocompress the file. I can’t play it with real player too.

Thevideos were made by Sony camcorder between 2007 and 2009, unfortunately I don’t know the camcorder model to down load the software that came with it.

I would really appreciate any help

2. ETech7

ETech7

What are the extensions of those video files?

3. Alex10

Alex10 Thread Starter

Thank you ETech7 for responding... some files have "MPEG" and others "AVI".. Also, I had those videos on Window XP when they were saved on the Portable HD but now I use Window 7

I am not sure if this is the right answer to your question!! Is Recuva is the right software?

Again thank you

4. ETech7

ETech7

5. valis

valis Moderator

6. Alex10

Alex10 Thread Starter

Thank you so much ETech7 and valis for your help, fortunately some of my Dad's video files are working with VLC. With other files I get this error message.

No suitable decoder module:
    VLC does not support the audio or video format "undf". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.
    No suitable decoder module:
    VLC does not support the audio or video format "undf". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.

I am really grateful for all your help... Thank you

7. valis

valis Moderator

8. Alex10

Alex10 Thread Starter

Thank you valis, to be honest I didn't want bother staff with more work but if you see fit, please mark it unsloved so other members may add their input. I was just grateful to recover my Dad's video.

9. Alex10

Alex10 Thread Starter

You were right valis, vidoe started to act out again even with VLC.

Can anyone please let me know a software where I can figure out technical and tag information about my video files. e.g supported formats, containers and codec. mediainfo required downloading stuff I didn't know and G-spot is not supported by window 7 so I didn't load it.

I really appreciate any help

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090401

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice